trade surprise

Yakking with my client about new trucks (he's a General Manager of a local dealership) and was stunned to hear that my 14 RAM is still worth north of 21k!!!

I would never have expected that. Of course right now the market is dead, but it is unusual for a truck to hold that much value IMO.

90k miles on her, nearly perfect condition.

Ever had that surprise?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Maybe he is hinting for you to trade it in for a brand new truck... ?

^^Definitely this.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

^^Definitely this.

Oldest trick in the dealership handbook.
I recall using that line with previous customers when we had to do follow-up calls.

1. Trying to sell a new truck to you and give you a good deal

2. Trucks hold ridiculous value. Compare the purchase price of a RAM and after 5 years it's resale value. Then look at a Grand Caravan or a Dodge Avenger. Yuck.

He definitely wants to get you in the door (why wouldn't he?), but late model trucks do hold their value well, and 90k is really low miles on a used truck. You probably could get that much on trade, especially for a Laramie or other higher trim. People drive a lot these days and it is so common to see used 3-4 year old 1/2 ton trucks with well over 100k selling for $20-30k+. Heavy duty trucks get really crazy unless you stick to base trim/engine.

That's an unbelievably good trade-in allowance if that's what we're talking about.

My 2017 Ram 1500 4x4, quad cab, express, pentastar with ~53K miles on it, in very good condition is worth about $15K trade-in at best.

I see dealer asking prices around ~$20K for 2014's with hemis and bighorn, etc, packages in my area with mileage under 70K.

Last edited:
There are no REAL NUMBERS until you actually start the buying process...................

Probably allowing you $20K on a new truck that if you bought outright you could talk them down $10K+ off the sticker price.. So they're really only giving you $10K or less for your truck and will turn around and sell it for $20K. In 2005 I negotiated a cash deal on a $25,3xx sticker price Mercury Grand Marquis without a trade in, when It was all said and done final negotiated price was $15.300. Anytime a dealer is working on a trade that starts with the sticker price they're going to be the winner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordMan59
Probably allowing you $20K on a new truck that if you bought outright you could talk them down $10K+ off the sticker price.. So they're really only giving you $10K or less for your truck and will turn around and sell it for $20K. In 2005 I negotiated a cash deal on a $25,3xx sticker price Mercury Grand Marquis without a trade in, when It was all said and done final negotiated price was $15.300. Anytime a dealer is working on a trade that starts with the sticker price they're going to be the winner.

Dealer sets sell price based on their desires. What matters is the data one has on the Internet in regards to Kelly Blue Book and the NADA Black Book. That's where one should start.

He is slick, and working you.

That's my take too. Sales guys will tell you anything. The real numbers don't come out until you're dealing with the manager who's responsible for taking in the trades.

It could be a sunny FL thing, but I just put in the numbers for a 2014 Ram 1500 big horn, hemi, 4x4, CC, standard options w/ 90K miles and the trade in value in my area is $12660-$14763. Kind of where I thought it would be.

Originally Posted by JTK
That's my take too. Sales guys will tell you anything. The real numbers don't come out until you're dealing with the manager who's responsible for taking in the trades.

It could be a sunny FL thing, but I just put in the numbers for a 2014 Ram 1500 big horn, hemi, 4x4, CC, standard options w/ 90K miles and the trade in value in my area is $12660-$14763. Kind of where I thought it would be.

Just checked for my zip code and the trade in value was $14,800 - $17,025.

The values are straight out of KBB. I never I never trade my vehicle's I always sell them out right. This guy is the client for many years, we know the family personally, he is not a car salesman. He is a general manager

Just double checked KBB values and private party is 20k to 23k for my truck. I'm not selling or trading it, I love it.

Some of you guys obviously don't have a Sport model with Ramboxes. We bought this and got a screaming good deal, I was just very surprised to hear it could still be worth that much moolah!

Back