Laptop Wakes Up From Sleep Mode By Itself

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
My new laptop with Windows 10 will wake itself up when it's in "Sleep Mode". Does Widows 10 do this for some reason, like checking for updates or running a virus scan even though the computer is sleeping? My Windows 7 machine never did this ... when it was asleep it stayed asleep until I woke it up manually.

Windows 10 will wake to install updates. There was a way to disable it but when I attempted to do it recently it gave me some error and wouldn't let me change the setting.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Windows 10 will wake to install updates. There was a way to disable it but when I attempted to do it recently it gave me some error and wouldn't let me change the setting.

I found that setting in Windows Updates and adjusted it to a narrow window, but the computer was still waking itself up outside the time window I set.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Check Task Scheduler. You should be able to disable that or change when it happens.

Thanks ... I'll go see if I can find Task Scheduler and look into the settings.

Ok, so I went into Task Scheduler (talk about settings galore on stuff I've never heard of), and did see some tasks that were checked "Wake the computer to run this task". What a mess. Maybe I'll just leave it alone since I have the computer to go back to sleep after 45 minutes.

Couple of examples below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You finally got me to look into how to get this done.
I had to download PsTools from SysInternals and from the directory I extracted PSTools into I ran "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc" from an elevate command prompt. Then I was able to disable all the "Wake the computer to run this task" options on all the UpdateOrchestrator tasks.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
My new laptop with Windows 10 will wake itself up when it's in "Sleep Mode". Does Widows 10 do this for some reason, like checking for updates or running a virus scan even though the computer is sleeping? My Windows 7 machine never did this ... when it was asleep it stayed asleep until I woke it up manually.

wondered about that myself ,only my PC does that , guess i know why now thanks

There are a couple of simple command line commands (run a command prompt as administrator):

powercfg -lastwake

and

powercfg -waketimers

I had a long standing issue with this happening, turned out the solution was to disable the ethernet adapter from being able to wake the pc (via device manager).

Sad to say that McAfee is probably the worst apps that you can add to your laptop.
It is a resource hog.

Yep … just removed it when my son was trying to speed up my laptop that has spent very little time on the net.
(I'm mainly on my company Dell or an iPad like now)

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Sad to say that McAfee is probably the worst apps that you can add to your laptop.
It is a resource hog.

Yeah, it came loaded on this Dell laptop. Free 1 year full subscription. I plan on removing it at some point and just going with Windows Defender.

run in an admin command prompt: powercfg.cpl
change plan settings
change advanced power settings
sleep
allow wake timers
setting: disable

Originally Posted by Ed_T

run in an admin command prompt: powercfg.cpl
change plan settings
change advanced power settings
sleep
allow wake timers
setting: disable

My laptop is waking up from Sleep Mode every 3 hours. I went into settings yesterday and disabled the "Sleep > Allow wake times", but it shows that it still woke up one time last night. "Plugged in" was set to 'Enabled' before I changed it. Need to track down whatever else is triggering a wake-up from Sleep Mode.

Any more ideas what where else to check to find out what's waking it up at night?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
I think Win10 also defaults to defragging the HDD every week, which it'll do during off-peak hours.

I disabled disk defrag since I have a SSD. So something else is still waking it up from Sleep Mode.

Do you have an external mouse attached or paired up? Try turning it off or unplugging it.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Do you have an external mouse attached or paired up? Try turning it off or unplugging it.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard and a USB wired mouse. The keyboard goes to sleep after 10 minutes to conserve it batteries. When the laptop is in Sleep Mode I can't even get the laptop to wake up by moving the mouse or clicking buttons on the mouse. I think I need to go into the BIOS to set that up to work.

I'm going to unplug the laptop from the AC power tonight and see if it wakes up from Sleep Mode when on battery.

So I was doing more research on this tonight and found that other people have been focusing in on 'StartMenuExperienceHost" as the potential culprit of waking the computer. I ran a few DOS commands and you can see that StartMenuExperienceHost shows up as a set timer event (see DOS Command window below). BTW, I could not find StartMenuExperienceHost event anywhere in the "Task Scheduler" tool.

The other set timer for 'UpdateOrchestrator' (for the 'Backup Scan' task) is also shown in the DOS window. I found that one in the "Task Scheduler" tool and it's only setup to launch once a month. I tried to turn it off, but even though I'm Administrator on this machine it wanted a password to change any settings (I tried 'Admin' but that didn't work), and it wouldn't even allow me to disable that task.

Anyway, I found this Microsoft tech article (link below) addressing StartMenuExperienceHost. Fix Method #3 is what I have already tried (above in a previous post), and it didn't work. Methods 1 and 2 are a waste of time and won't do anything for this issue. I haven't tried Method 4 yet, but recall reading that it can cause other issues with Sleep Mode.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ing/537b6473-83b3-49ee-a11d-312c9c44a36b

Read the comments at the bottom of this article (link below) which is talking about Method 4 in the Microsoft article. One guy mentions that his computer would "freeze every time it went into sleep mode, requiring a hard reboot". Guess there's one to to find out ... try it and see if it works. That article was written ~3 years ago, so maybe it works better now. Guess that will be my next test.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

https://techjourney.net/how-to-disable-connected-standby-instantgo-in-windows-10-8-1-8/

[Linked Image]

I also found this article showing how to temporarily kill the 'StartMenuExperienceHost' process (StartMenuExperienceHost.exe). Once killed, it will simply relaunch and run when the "Start" icon is clicked.

As a test, I could kill StartMenuExperienceHost and then let my laptop then go to into Sleep Mode itself (can't click Start icon to put it to sleep because it will activate StartMenuExperienceHost again). Then see if the laptop wakes up from Sleep Mode over night.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/how...-windows-10-may-2019-update-526178.shtml

So this is the baseline graph with a 12 hour window showing the laptop wakes up every 3 hours. This is with it plugged in to AC power - and "Allow sleep timers" is set to "Disabled" for both when on battery and when plugged in to AC. It wakes up every 3 hours and remains on for 45 minutes since I have it set to go to Sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity.

It will take a couple days to experiment with a few things to see if I can find a way to stop it from waking by itself when in Sleep Mode since I need to let it sit over night after each tweak to see what fixes this issue.

On a side note, I read where people have put their laptop (in Sleep Mode) in a carry bag not realizing it could/was waking up from Sleep Mode, and they said the laptop got very hot because it was enclosed in the carry bag and could cool itself. Microsoft needs to make it so when you choose to disable "Allow sleep times" that it kills ALL sleep timers.

[Linked Image]

Put the laptop in Sleep Mode last night, but put it on battery power instead of AC power. Same results ... it self woke from Sleep Mode every 3 hours. Only difference is that it went back to sleep in 15 minutes because that's the sleep setting when on battery power.

Also, I tried the "End Task" in Task Manager on StartMenuExperienceHost (as described in the previous link I posted). Without doing anything else after ending the task, StartMenuExperienceHost self started again in about 2~3 seconds. So apparently there is no real way to end or disable the process for testing purposes in trouble-shooting if that's the self waking culprit.

Any ideas what else to try?

Back