Ford Ranger - Throttle Cable

Recently I noticed my Throttle Cable was frayed and ordered an OEM replacement from local Ford Dealer.

Original Pt. No. is unknown and (I believe) no longer available.
Replacement from Dealer is 4L5Z-9A758-AA (and reconfirmed after purchase using VIN #)

Concern #1 - Cable is 12 inch longer than original. Dealer said "THAT is the replacement"
OK, I could make that work just by anchoring it down.

Concern #2 - The replacement has a Coil Spring that goes up against Gas Pedal / lacking on 'original'

Question - Anybody know what this Spring does ?
I would hate to be a 'hack' and cut it off, but that's an option (after confirming it's useless).
The Throttle Body itself has two Springs on that end of Cable.

I have NO Cruise Control
I have found some OEM Sellers that say "this is the correct part No." and others that say "it WILL NOT fit".
[Linked Image]

Fits - Same Part No. as Dealer
[Linked Image]

Doesn't Fit - Same Part No. as Dealer …. Oh, the confusion
[Linked Image]

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I own a 98 Ford ranger and I have that spring on my throttle cable. It's there so when the throttle body is 100% open but the gas pedal has not bottomed out on the floor yet the spring acts as a buffer so you are not putting your whole leg force on the throttle cable when it's at max throttle.

I've had to replace that throttle cable before because the way it's mounted on the 3.0 makes it easy to break if you're leaning over working on the engine. I don't think the total overall length matters, as long as the length of the exposed ends match. I definitely don't remember the spring part being on my original part. The junkyard replacement part I got also didn't have that spring.

Originally Posted by joegreen
I own a 98 Ford ranger and I have that spring on my throttle cable. It's there so when the throttle body is 100% open but the gas pedal has not bottomed out on the floor yet the spring acts as a buffer so you are not putting your whole leg force on the throttle cable when it's at max throttle.

That would make sense and could be the new & improved Cable for my truck.
But only if the Gas Peddle was on the 'left' side of the Spring (in photo) / then the Spring would compress as the Gas-Pedal goes to the floor (preventing the Cable from stretching).

I believe that's the answer (and reasoning) I was looking for.
Thank you.

Another way of looking at it:
The Spring replaces Cable-Ties people are adding (you-tube mods) to take up slop when the Cable stretches.

Last edited:
From Ford's part info remarks screen

HAS PROTECTIVE SLEEVE FOR CONTACT WITH BRAKE BOOSTER
2 STUD THREADS. EH
3 3.0L,2L5Z-AA R/B 4L5Z-AA,SAME AS 2L5Z-CA W/PROTECTIVE COVER
4 111113 **********
5 111113 2L5Z-AA(16")R/B 2L5Z-CA(29")R/B 4L5Z-AA(29")(WPTSE11399835)
6 111113 (16"TO 29")REDUCE CONTACT W/BOOSTER&HOSE;(WPTSE11545833000)
7 82015 REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL,MY2004 RANGER,FOR CABLE ROUTING.

OP here,
I installed the new (longer) Throttle Cable and all is well.
There is a slight amount of slack in the Cable.

- The connecting ends were a perfect match
- I can see that the Coil Spring in question is to prevent the Cable from stretching (while gunning it) but I drive more like an old man anyway.

Last edited:
Back