Has anyone here tried the Autolite Xtreme Start iridium small engine spark plug?

I know that Autolite isn't the greatest, but they seem to be the only one that makes iridium spark plugs for lawn mowers and small engines

Some people may be interested in a longer-lasting spark plug that starts easier, so does the iridium and fine-wire electrode make up for not being as good as NGK?

My lawn mower doesn't need a new spark plug yet, since I replaced it last year with an NGK #5798 (BR2-LM)
The Autolite part number is XST458. It is made in Mexico

The NGK is made in Japan

So, has anybody used the Autolite Iridium small engine spark plugs?

Yes I am using them. They work really well. Better fuel economy and old mower starts first pull.

Just picked up a set of NGK BKR5EIX's for my Kholer 7000. Don't know if I'll notice anything or not. Took a little digging to find the cross reference.

No and won't waste my money on them for a small engine. I get one pull starts with my Champion J19LM's.

I haven't tried these yet, but I see that they are available from Walmart for $3.19 with free shipping. At that price, what have you got to lose?

For OPE, just as long as it isn't a Torch brand, you'll be fine with any plug... even just the $1.49 standard Champion plugs.

I suppose a snow blower could benefit from a plug like that. Also, the investment is so low it doesn't matter.I bought a platinum plug for my Honda GCV 160. It usually starts on the first pull. I doubt I'll ever have to change it. Darn, as I like changing plugs. If it feels good, do it.
laugh.gif

If you need plug replacement on a low power flathead - what are you doing wrong?
Uless you are a lawn care guy using it multiple times a week for hours.

A Hmeowner you would typically never put enough hours to need to change a plug on home
ODPE.
And you don't mess with good running ignition if i doesn't really require maintenance

Autolite makes excellent Ir plugs. Good for Subaru service replacement.

Take note Subaru guys with FB powerplants - forget thefactory Ruthenium - you don't need them.
( most Ir is a Ir-Ru alloy anyhow)

I hate NGK. Built up this distaste with a passion over decades of professional tuning and repair.

Their Ir design from two decades ago saved NGK.

NGK USA V power is junk. BK or BP 5 or 6 R ES-11 Japanese O.E. are short-life and low quality. Good for their business.

My weekly NGK rant - over for now
smile.gif

Last edited:
I had over 2000 hours on a Kohler 25hp, changed the plugs once around 1200 hours because it was not running perfect. After the plug change it still ran a little rough so it wasn't even the plugs.

Back