Floor jack lubrication

Looking for something I could use for all the hinges and moving parts on my floor jack. The main pivot is the only part on the jack that has a grease zerk. Otherwise everything else is a bit hard to grease without taking it apart. So a oil that can penetrate is preferable. I was thinking Triflow but maybe even gear oil? Come to think some friction areas are under quite a bit of pressure.

There is one part that is a bit like a roller rocker which is starting to see a bit of wear. It is connected to the bottom of the jack handle and pushes the pistons on the hydraulic cylinder to raise the jack. There was lots of factory lubrication there but it doesn't seem like it was working too well. Photos to showcase the wear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oldhp
Maybe Lucas Red N Tacky 10005 grease?

Interesting, never really was a fan of Lucas stuff, but this stuff looks good.

What about for the hinges that can't be disassembled for greasing?

My only concern is if this jack isn't kept in a pretty pristine location, that roller could catch grit and do more damage then good.

I'd consider either an oil (thinner film, less tacky, easier to clean and replace), or else a grease that is clear, like super lube or the crc clear penetrating spray grease (perhaps not sprayed).

I put whatever grease I have in the zerk which happens to be red and tacky then for other moving parts penetrating lithium spray grease or multi-purpose spray lubricant.

It's doubtful to me that greasing the roller piece could do more harm than good as long as you use a grease thick enough that it stays there instead of becoming a runny gritty mess that transfers and goes down those piston rods which would take an excessive amount of lube to accomplish.

Everywhere except for the wheel axles, try not to go too much thinner than NLGI #2 if you can help it. How to get it delivered to the area depends on your ingenuity, or budget, or what you have on hand.

You can DIY, mix oil with grease to thin it just enough to flow into areas, or mix gas with it, or gas and oil. If you mix oil, use a minimal amount of this lube because otherwise the oil may separate out later and need wiped up. Leave the jack in a ventilated area for a few hours so the gas evaporates away, leaving behind a thicker grease than would otherwise penetrate into that area.

You can put that in a bottle with a pointed tip, or an oiler can, or just in a cup and use a toothpick.

You can use a thinner grease tube in a grease gun with a needle tip attachment. You can use a can of spray grease (most common method if you have or are willing to buy spray grease).

You can just oil it instead, a lot more often using oil is still better than nothing. How often depends on how often you use it, I'm not talking as often as weekly for most people/uses but a thick grease would last multiple times as long and protect better.

Wheels axles, you want a thinner grease to not impede them rolling smoothly, especially in cold weather. Since you're in Calgary you might want a little thinner than NLGI #2 in the wheel pivot bearings too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting some Lucas Red n Tacky and used it on the rollers, piston buckets, front wheels (no bearings in there, just a shaft and steel wheel), hinge bolts etc. Just about every part I could take apart and grease, surprising how many joints there are in a floor jack, it took me all afternoon, also fought with a stubborn retaining ring. For the main hinge with the zerk I just used some Moly grease I had in the gun.

I am liking the Red n Tacky though, surprised it was my first time using. The tacky grease seems to be clinging well to the rollers and piston buckets even after getting squeezed. it. I typically only use the jack in the summer, it's in the home garage, so it also stays pretty clean. I haven't touched the castering wheels yet, the stuff in there looks to be dried up like wax. It will need a needle to get in there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
My only concern is if this jack isn't kept in a pretty pristine location, that roller could catch grit and do more damage then good.

I'd consider either an oil (thinner film, less tacky, easier to clean and replace), or else a grease that is clear, like super lube or the crc clear penetrating spray grease (perhaps not sprayed).

+1 try liquid wrench heavy duty lubricating oil. Just apply before or after every use.

Back