Castrol Edge vs GTX "High Milage"

Ive been using the castrol gtx hm in the wifes 13 equinox with the oil burning issues. The gtx has less phosphorus and replaced by other additives (to protect or prolong the catalytic converter)... yall know... . Learned a few months ago that they have the Edge hm with the same additive replacement.
The Edge is full syn with the titanium additive "technology" ha. The gtx is a syn blend. Neither are dexos approved.
Question is, would it be best to burn one or the other, Full syn or syn blend?
Just curious if one or the other would be more beneficial. Thanks.

I went 10k on last change toping off every few weeks, sometimes took 1/2 a quart, others a full quart. I would like to do it every 5k but i dont see the point honestly.

Ugh. If you want to keep the car with that oil-burning DI engine, change the oil every 3 to 3.5K miles. Expect on doing a timing chain, tensioner and guides replacement at around 100K miles. It is what it is... a pig.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Ive been using the castrol gtx hm...... they have the Edge hm with the same additive....

If it's a Group II then it's a moderately Hydrocracked mineral oil.
If the full synthetic is a Group III then it's a heavily Hydrocracked mineral oil, with some reshaping (isomerization) added to the process.
If it's a synblend then it's a mixture of the two.

Given the same add pack, they would all burn much the same in your engine.

Originally Posted by CT8
The lowest price of the two.

I agree....or even lower priced Supertech HM...and I'd probably go up a grade to 5w30....even 10w30 in summer.

It's a shame that GM produced such a terrible oil burner in this day and age...I don't
recall the original 2.2 Ecotec (like the one in my 05' Saturn Ion) having that issue....what
did GM do to the design of that engine to cause such issues?

Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Ive been using the castrol gtx hm...... they have the Edge hm with the same additive....

If it's a Group II then it's a moderately Hydrocracked mineral oil.
If the full synthetic is a Group III then it's a heavily Hydrocracked mineral oil, with some reshaping (isomerization) added to the process.
If it's a synblend then it's a mixture of the two.

Given the same add pack, they would all burn much the same in your engine.

Both are probably both...

Back