11 Traverse Water pump

I get coolant leaks from below where the water pump is after short trips (~1 mile one way). When it's driven on extended trips it's dry as a bone. No leaking whatsoever even after it's sat for a few days. It went two months without leaking and then leaked again when a couple short trips happened again. Replace the water pump?

Replace ASAP. It could fail catastrophically and it will happen at the most inconvenient time.

Yes, replace it!

Water pumps are one of the few things that actually give you a warning before they fail, so take advantage of that
smile.gif

Rock Auto carries the actual OE water pump for your Traverse

Probably a seal starting to go out. When warm expands just enough but those short cooler trips allow it to leak out a little and not dry from short trip.

Not to hard. Hardest part is getting the pulley off/on. Pump only has 6 bolts holding it on

Water pumps were a weak point on the earlier Traverse, Enclave, and Acadia models (Saturn Outlook also) My new at the time 2010 went bad after only 2 years. GM extended the warranty on them for 10 years/120000 miles BUT I think only through the 2010 model year. Check with a dealer to find out for sure and read Post#2 of this link for more information.

GM Extended Water Pump Warranty

You can change it going through the wheel well if I recall. Just check some of the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia forums for more information.

Thanks for the comments/advice everyone. I'll get the pump ordered. I'll likely do the thermostat too while I'm at it.
Sadly it looks like mine doesn't fall under the extended warranty.

Back