Flashlights - what's worth purchasing?

I love my Olight, I have a Seeker 2 pro and it's ridiculously bright for its small size. Like it's capable of melting things/burning holes in paper at max brightness bright. Comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts for a long time and a cool magnetic charging cord, and it has various levels of brightness, which range from ~5 lumens to 3200.

Edit: I can take some pictures when it's darker out to show the distance it can throw.

Last edited:
Flashlights are a case where quantity has a quality all of it's own. I layer the flashlights deep around here or else I don't have one handy when I need it, so I usually go with several cheaper ones over really nice ones. One that I've been pleasantly surprised by and one I find myself using a lot is a quasi-knockoff of the Astro 40sl that I bought at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/390-Lumen-Magnetic-Slim-Bar-Folding-LED-Work-Light-63958.html

My favorite is Led Lenser that has focusing head for flood or spot. P5.2 uses 1xAA battery small . The P6.2 is also good it uses 2xAA so it's longer and runs longer. I use nihm rechargeable batteries in them and AA batteries are everywhere. Led Lenser are a little hard to find these days since they no longer partner with Coast, Coast now makes their own versions the HX5 and G32, very similar but I still like the Led Lenser more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
It'll be used around home, campgrounds, etc.

While I love li-ion powered flashlights, it's good to also have something that takes regular AA/C/D batteries, just in case.

For camping, a lantern is also useful. And so is a headlamp.

I have more flashlights/lanterns/headlamps than I know what to do with, and that's not even all of them...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

As an all-rounder, Convoy S2+ XP-L HI is probably my favorite - good output, and nice beam pattern with decent amount of spill and throw, alas, that requires an 18650 li-ion cell.

For a basic single AA light, the Ultratac A1 is great, IMO. 200 lumen output from an AA nimh cell, and nicely spaced out L-M-H modes, and no silly blinky modes.

Pelican and Streamlight got me through my Fire career. Not neccesarily the brightest out there as the new led lights have taken off but I took mine to [censored] and back and they served me well.

Originally Posted by wkcars
My favorite is Led Lenser that has focusing head for flood or spot. P5.2 uses 1xAA battery small . The P6.2 is also good it uses 2xAA so it's longer and runs longer. I use nihm rechargeable batteries in them and AA batteries are everywhere. Led Lenser are a little hard to find these days since they no longer partner with Coast, Coast now makes their own versions the HX5 and G32, very similar but I still like the Led Lenser more.

I do like my little LED Lenser because of the performance it gives vs. the size. I don't recall the model I bought (it's at work at the moment) but the threads were a bit ugly from the factory, and I don't live anywhere near the store I bought it from, so I just lived with it. It's rechargable, so I don't have any reason to access the battery on a regular basis. Also, the switch on the tail cap is quite small, so it's not great if you're wearing gloves.

I've also had a Fenix PD35 for several years, and it's been great. In comparison to the LED Lenser, it's got a large switch on the tail cap. As for batteries, it will use the CR123 disposable lithium cells. I bought two of the Fenix 18650 rechargables and charger, and they work well. I haven't tested how long they will run continuously, but battery life has never been an issue. I end up charging them periodically just because so much time passes between charges.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I have more flashlights/lanterns/headlamps than I know what to do with, and that's not even all of them...

I like the C8 which I see in your collection. I have one with the xhp50.2 which is one of the brightest LEDs you can get, I think there's a few brighter but they don't come in a drop in for the C8. Handy for dark basements/attics.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33042031343.html

I also got this light which was for car work and having an extra Milwaukee battery, it was on sale for $129, but currently out of stock now and back to $149.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...h-Battery-and-Charger-2365-21P/310288371

Ultrafire Cree, single AA or 3.7V LI-Ion. Very bright with LI-Ion, very cheap (bought 3 on ebay for $8), small and go from spot to flood. They won't dazzle someone at 100 yards but I can't see 100 yards in daylight.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
It'll be used around home, campgrounds, etc.

I'm a flashlight and weaponlight snob.

Long guns get Modlite. Handheld, I slum it with a streamlight HLX. Handguns get x300u Surefires.

This is my modlite. 4.3oz. About 4.5" long or so. 1350 lumens, 54,000 lux, 5700k tint, made in America.

received_663988464047798.jpeg

Last edited:

For a basic single AA light, the Ultratac A1 is great, IMO. 200 lumen output from an AA nimh cell, and nicely spaced out L-M-H modes, and no silly blinky modes.

That is a nice little light. Where does one find the pleasing blue color like you show? I'm only seeing black.

I got a Coleman CT-50 LED about 7 years ago and it's been excellent. Still on original batteries!
I can honestly tell you to avoid Maglite at all cost, especially the penlite (2 -AA) size. Junk.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

That is a nice little light. Where does one find the pleasing blue color like you show? I'm only seeing black.

It's black. My white balance was probably off. Is this better?

Back