Bad pressure switch?

I have a well system. I noticed the pressure gauge is reading 85 psi. The pressure switch is a 40/60. The pump does not run when it shouldn't. Water pressure in the house fixtures seems mostly fine, but last few days the kitchen faucet will at times have low pressure.

This probably the switch? It isn't that old.

The thermopile on the water heater also just went bad today. Maybe related, or just coincidence.

If you are handy just replace both the pressure switch and the guage. Cost about $30.00 Do them both.
Take note of the switch wiring and be sure to put it back exactly the same way.

Last edited:
You can get a gauge that has a fitting for a garden hose. Screw that in and see if it exactly matches the one that is part of the pump control.

My guess is its the gauge.

Something is amiss. The gauge reads 85 but the water pressure in the kitchen is sometimes low.

If you drain the system to replace either, good time to check the pressure on the pump tank. It should be a certain pressure, probably marked on the tank. If its zero with the system opened up, the bladder is shot and you need a new tank.

Any well problem short of replacing the actual pump is a good day.

If the water pressure is sometime low that is a telltale sign that the pressure switch is sticking. It will delay coming on and delay going off. Replace switch and guage and sleep well. And while you have the system drained, check the pressure in the well tank. Set it 2-4 lbs. below the cut in for the new pressure switch.

If you have a pressure trol (bladder style) tank it may be water logged, that is a failed bladder that cannot maintain an air cushion resulting in a pressure spike before the switch can shut off the pump, The failed switch mentioned is also probable,

Check with another guage. The lifespan of those guages seems to be measured months, not years... Agree with checking the bladder air pressure in the well tank after that. Throwing another pressure switch is shotgunning parts at it wihout diagnosing the rest of the system... The pressure switch is only as good as the rest of the system...

Originally Posted by Chris142
I made a gizmo that I can plug an air chuck into. Screwed into that chuck is a tire valve stem. I can check my pressure with a tire gauge.

Does it get water into the tire gauge?

Only problem I've seen with those "Pumptrol" switches, and it will eventually happen to all of them, is one of the contact point assemblies will break off of the moving arm. Then the pump doesn't run at all.

It was the pressure gauge. I replaced that and it is reading normal and the pump is working fine. I don't know how I'd replace the switch without water going all over. I shut off the pump, closed all the valves, drained the tank, and still water was coming out like crazy when I replaced the gauge. I did it quick so not much water came out in total. I don't know where the water was coming from since I drained the tank. There wold be a lot longer time for water to come out in replacing the switch.

The thermopile low voltage light on the water heater I fixed, too. I replaced the thermopile last night, and it still had the error. I got the whole burner assembly replaced under warranty today (water heater is a 2016), was able to get it at a local plumber, and changed it in about ten minute (very easy to do the whole assembly). Works like a charm now, so far.

Back