Amsoil SS 0w30

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Arrechera

It is a good additive package specially designed for gasoline direct injection engines.

You have to take into account another factor besides the additives that is the base.

Amsoil in its signature range uses a base with a concentration of 50% -60% group IV base oil and 10% -15% group V base oil.

I infinitely prefer it before many other oils with horse additives and a group III oil base.

This gave me a good chuckle for the morning. Sometimes spell check comes up with odd corrections.

Then again, maybe there is a magical additive developed from horse urine?

The real question however is, where does Amsoil get their base and additive packages from?

Hello, sorry for the translation, I am writing from Spain with the google translator.

By "horse" I mean a lot of concentration of additives.

In all the analyzes that are seen around here, many users value that an oil is better or worse depending on the amount of additives without evaluating what I consider to be more important, the base.

Many manufacturers use group III (HC) base and to try to compensate for the relative low quality of the base, they fatten the oils with many additives.

In the case of Amsoil Signature, I consider that it uses one of the most modern additive packages available today.

The group IV base (PAO) I believe is supplied by Chevron, the additives are supplied by Infineun and the ester (group V) is supplied by Croda

It's a stout oil for sure. Only problem I have with it is the high SA (sulfated ash) level that exceeds the SN/dexos limit of 1.0%. I believe Amsoil is around 1.2 or 1.3%. You "ideally" want an oil that has both low volatility and SA for a GDI engine. Otherwise, it looks great.

The problem of carbon accumulation in GDI engines is an endemic disease suffered by EVERYONE for about 20 years when the VAG group began to market FSI engines.
In order to reduce the accumulation of this carbon in intake valves I do not give as much importance to the ashes as such, the ashes are produced by the additives and the additives are necessary.
The problem is mainly caused by the pcv valve and the crankcase gas recirculation.
Use an oil with a low% evaporation noak + high flash point and install an oil catch can to mitigate this problem.

The problem of carbon accumulation in GDI engines is an endemic disease suffered by EVERYONE for about 20 years when the VAG group began to market FSI engines.
In order to reduce the accumulation of this carbon in intake valves I do not give as much importance to the ashes as such, the ashes are produced by the additives and the additives are necessary.
The problem is mainly caused by the pcv valve and the crankcase gas recirculation.
Use an oil with a low% evaporation noak + high flash point and install an oil catch can to mitigate this problem.

cheers3.gif

Agreed. Unfortunately Ford will void my warranty if I install a catch can. So I'm told.

Back