Tamper Resistant Wall Outlets

I need to replace a few outlets in my house due to wear. My understanding is that current electrical code requires Tamper Resistant outlets to be used. The price difference is minimal but I have been advised that the Tamper Resistant outlets are a real pain to use.

Thoughts?

I do have a few tamper resistant oulets...only thing I notice is that they are a bit harder to push a plug into but not all that bad

You get the muscle memory to jam the plug at the right moment, plus the outlets break in a little over time. No worries.

Also, my 5 year old literally stuck a paper clip in his outlet, blowing the breaker and burning his hand slightly. The minute clinic people said it was always the 5-year olds that did this.
blush.gif

He was freaking out and yelling that "fire came out of the wall!!!"
lol.gif
He got the first batch of tamper resistant outlets that week.

Are they really required by code, or is that for your region? Not that I know NEC but I do know localities can add their own additional restrictions (I think Chicago requires all residential wiring to be in metal conduit?).

If it was me, I'd put in what I wanted. At least in the commonly used outlets. If insurance or inspectors throw a fit, they are pretty easy to swap out (and back). Put tamper resistant in most of the unused outlets, regulars in the shop.

Worst case, you can defeat the whole works by shoving in an outlet strip just one time and leave it there...

Originally Posted by supton
Are they really required by code, or is that for your region? Not that I know NEC but I do know localities can add their own additional restrictions (I think Chicago requires all residential wiring to be in metal conduit?).

If it was me, I'd put in what I wanted. At least in the commonly used outlets. If insurance or inspectors throw a fit, they are pretty easy to swap out (and back). Put tamper resistant in most of the unused outlets, regulars in the shop.

Worst case, you can defeat the whole works by shoving in an outlet strip just one time and leave it there...

They been part of the NEC since 2008 I think, maybe even before. But depending on the area, they might not have adopted NEC requirement til later. Usually when you're replacing them you're supposed to bring it up to current code, but if you just do a DIY job, you probably don't have to. Wouldn't be considered a code violation if the house was built before the requirement.

I wound up by accident with a tamper resistant GFI in the garage and it is a a bit of a pain. Your docking approach has to be to come in at it straight and hard. Having said that, I would have bought a basket of tamper resistant outlets if they had been available back when we had toddlers. The toddler proof dummy plastic plugs are way more inconvenient.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
seeing they still sell regualar outlets i would just replace like for like.

In the city we used to live in, their 'rule' on permits/inspections was generally that simple work, i.e. replacing an outlet, replacing a toilet, etc didn't require a permit or inspection. Adding new outlets, adding a new bathroom, etc did require permits and inspections. The same rule applied in regards to "code" too - if you're just swapping something out, you're not required to bring everything up to today's code. A point of reference to this is, you can still buy 2-prong, non-grounded outlets. You're only allowed to use them to replace an existing, 2-prong, ungrounded outlet though.

Originally Posted by supton

Municipalities will normally adopt a revision of the NEC and stick with it for a period of time, meaning they don't always follow the latest revision. Municipalities can also require more than what the NEC specifies as well. Your example of Chicago requiring all electrical wiring to be in conduit is one case of this. I believe NYC has similar requirements although they allow flexible metal conduit, if I'm not mistaken.

Mt experience is that those tamper resistant outlets work way better than plugging in a 3 prong plug. Otherwise just use regular outlets, you really don't need tamper resistant.

Back