NASCAR Returns

I'll admit I'm not a big NASCAR viewer, but last week I finally got around to watching a little bit of the virtual racing.
It was interesting to watch the drivers race from home. Two things I caught: First, the sound effects had them racing manual transmissions, even though they kept both hands on the steering wheel at all times.
Second, getting in and out of the pits had the cars driving through each other. It was entertainment and that's what their intent was.
I wish them well tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Kruse
I'll admit I'm not a big NASCAR viewer, but last week I finally got around to watching a little bit of the virtual racing.
It was interesting to watch the drivers race from home. Two things I caught: First, the sound effects had them racing manual transmissions, even though they kept both hands on the steering wheel at all times.
Second, getting in and out of the pits had the cars driving through each other. It was entertainment and that's what their intent was.
I wish them well tomorrow.

I'm a 60 year old NASCAR fan

Had no desire for virtually racing
Seems sorta like kissing my sister 🤨🤨

And I'm not even from Alabama

So some really gas burning racing is way pass due !!!

Not a big NASCAR, will be watching. The classic NHL hockey games have their charm, but getting a bit redundant...

Track Length: 1.366-Miles
Race Length: May 17 - 293 Laps; May 20 -228 Laps
First Race: Sept. 4, 1950 - Southern 500
Banking in Corners: 25 degrees - Turns 1 & 2; 23 degrees - Turns 3 & 4
Banking on Straights: 6 degrees
Frontstretch: 1,229 feet
Backstretch: 1,229 feet

Stage Lengths: May 17: Cup Series - 90/185/293; May 19: Xfinity Series - 45/90/147; May 20: Cup Series - 60/125/228

Cup Race Record (500 Miles): Matt Kenseth, Toyota, 141.383 mph (3:32:45); May 11, 2013
Xfinity Race Record (200.8 Miles): Denny Hamlin, Toyota; 141.355 mph (1:25:14); Sept. 5, 2015

2020-05cup-lineup-page-0.jpg

Pit Stalls.jpg

Pit Stalls with timing lines.jpg

It will be survival of the fittest till that first competition yellow. My understanding they can do whatever to the car at that caution as long they beat the pace car out. To do this at Darlington is interesting in the least think you'll have few really good cars and many that suck.

Last edited:
Pit selection process:

Order based on charter team owner points followed by open team owner points. Pit stalls will be picked in advance and the pit boxes will be in the stalls when the teams arrive.

Starting lineup process:

Positions 1-12: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
Positions 13-24: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
Positions 25-36: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
Positions 37-40: Open teams in order of owners points in owner points

Modified Competition Caution Procedures:

With the absence of practice, NASCAR will be modifying its Competition Caution procedures to allow teams additional time for adjustments.

The competition cautions will occur at or around the following laps:

NASCAR Cup Series
Darlington - May 17: Lap 30
Darlington - May 20: TBD
Charlotte - May 24: TBD
Charlotte - May 27: TBD

Below are the procedures for the modified competition caution:

Field will be frozen at the time of the competition caution
Field will be assembled behind the pace car
The running order lead lap / lap down will be established and the free pass sent
Wave around rule is not in effect
Pit road will open to the top 20 - car must beat the pace car off pit road to retain freeze position
Pit road will open to the next 20 - car must beat the pace car off pit road to retain freeze position
Above pit cycle repeats - each team allowed to pit two times
Re-establish line-up per freeze and restart race

Infractions under modified competition caution:

Not beating the pace car off pit road results in loss of lap and restarting at tail of the field
Pitting more than twice or out of sequence results in restarting at the tail of the field
All current pit road rules are in effect

98049036_10158362568251952_7991782253397016576_o.jpg

Last edited:
Darlington Goodyear Tire Notes
By
Press Release May 12, 2020 at 9:36 AM

Set limits: Cup - May 17: 12 sets for the race; Cup - May 20: 9 sets for the race; Xfinity: 6 sets for the race

Tire Codes: Left-side - D-4928; Right-side - D-4930

Tire Circumference: Left-side - 2,225 mm (87.60 in.); Right-side - 2,248 mm (88.50 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front - 18 psi; Left Rear - 18 psi; Right Front - 48 psi; Right Rear - 44 psi

Back