Trailer tongue "jack" question

I did not use the trailer much last year. The trailer has a tongue jack, 1200 pound fixed fulton type (labelled cequent company ) bolt on mount. The up down movement works well, just turn the crank, no rust on the up down tube. And the wheel that is on the ground rolls fair- I think I can knock the bolt out and loosen this foot wheel up.
but
what does not work well is the swiveling left right and round and round of the forked wheel holder. It wont swivel but maybe 15 degrees. I dont think the tube that moves up and down is supposed to rotate at all- maybe the fork piece that hold the wheel is supposed to swivel. on the end of the tube? Anyone know? will a lot of de rust solution help on the foot fork that holds the wheel?

hook it up to the ball, then raise the jack where you can spin the wheel freely.. it should rotate 360 (mine does).

Perhaps the bearings in the swivel are rusty? If so Perhaps lube them.

I have a 4x8 landscape trailer that didn't have a tongue jack on it when I bought it. I went to Harbor freight and picked one up for about $20. I can push it around now with 1 finger. Best $20 I ever spent.,,

Somethings snagging in there. Jack it up and see. It's a simple plastic wheel I would think with a bolt for an axle nothing more. If it's funky or you can't figure out or get at it to fix the issue just grab a new one......they're cheap

thanks- the wheel will rotate on its own (bolt) axle.
But should you also be able to rotate the "fork" that holds the wheel- so that the wheel points in another direction?? allowing you to move the tongue sideways??

Last edited:
Back