10th Gen Accord questions ‘18-present)

Just starting to look, and this one is high on the list. Would likely try to pick up one with less than 30k miles instead of new. I know opinions are strong on turbo, and especially CVT, but please have something of value if you're responding...not just, "no way I'd buy a CVT", etc..
1) I'm aware of the 1.5 fuel dilution debacle on some previous years of the 1.5 CRV, and I understand that some dilution is inherent to di turbo regardless. However, has anyone heard of serious dilution problems SPECIFICALLY IN THE 1.5T ACCORD? (2018-present)
2) Is anyone aware of CVT issues SPECIFICALLY IN THE 1.5T ACCORD?
**I find lots of complaints RE Honda fuel dilution and CVT issues, but I don't see much on the 10th gen Accord...which I assumed would suffer the same?
**I could possibly consider the 2.0T which comes with a more "traditional" non-CVT if that engine/tranny is known to be more reliable, but REALLY do not want to take the mpg hit if I can avoid it (long commutes).
**I'll add that we reside in IL, so some cold starts in the winter, but the car is never short-tripped...always driven 12 miles minimum, usually more.
Thanks-

Last edited:
From what I gather the 1.5T Accord doesn't have the same issues that the 1.5T CRV had/has. Maybe it has to do with programming, I'm not sure. They certainly don't have the same level of complaints that the CRV has. Honda makes one of the best CVT's and they have a good track record. I wouldn't not be overly concerned with reliability, just make sure you keep the fluid changed at the appropriate times.

Also, the current generation Accord is from model years 2018+

You should also look into the steering issues the 2018+ Accords are having. Honda quality has gone downhill unfortunately.

Hmmm, Thanks, I had not read that about the steering before. I just looked it up.
I know overall that the complaints might be extremely few statistically, but am wondering if a 2020 model might be a safer bet in case Honda has made some tweaks based on ‘18 and ‘19 issues/service feedback?

A lot of the initial gripes were about the buggy infotainment system software and "Honda Sensing" safety features, false activations, etc. You'll probably find more detailed feedback in the Honda centric forums as to whether they've been able to address that with software updates.

With the depreciation of sedans, you can probably find a used '18 2.0T with 10-speed AT in the low 20s. This is not much more than the EX-L trimmed 1.5T / CVTs, although the MPG is hard to beat on the 1.5T. As is almost always the case, the depreciation on the higher trims (EX-L, Touring) is going to be greater than the lower equipped trims.

I'm curious to see how Honda invests in the Accord line going forward. With sustained 15-30% MoM declines in sales going into 2020, even pre 'current situation', it's hard to see how they will invest in future model refreshes.

I was a Honda and Acura buyer from 1990 until this year. Now the company has too many quality control issues, and reliability as measured by major publications just ain't what it used to be. Although my Ridgeline has been terrific since new, I'm now in the Toyota corner for future purchases.

My last Honda purchase was a 2013 Accord LX, and I disliked that CVT for sure.

There are a lot of UOAs here for 1.5T Civics and CRVs. Fuel dilution is an issue with this engine though seemingly more pronounced in the CRV than the Civic, maybe because of the extra weight and frontal area of the CRV. Honda claims this engine can happily run with up to 20% fuel dilution and wear metals don't seem to be out of line, so maybe this isn't as big an issue as we assume. And the Accord should mimic the Civic more than the CRV.

On the CRV forums the 2019/20 models seem to do better on this score than the 17/18s and, especially because there seemed to be a lot of variability between examples in the earlier years, there has been speculation that fuel injector QC was tightened up, lessening the problem.

CVTs have a lot of haters, but if you wander through CRV, Civic and Accord forums you'll be hard-pressed to find any example of a real CVT problem. I have a Honda CVT and actually prefer it to a conventional automatic, especially in hilly terrain.

So I'd say go for it. If you buy from a Honda dealer you could insist on seeing service records. If it's been in for fuel dilution issues maybe look for another example. As others have said, prices should be decent.

A 2018-19 Accord with less than 30k miles may not be any cheaper than a brand new one. Hondas don't depreciate that much, and if you're financing, new-car interest rates are usually lower than used-car interest rates

Since you won't be doing any short trips, you will have a lot less problems with the TGDI issues. Also, using 5w30 and filling up with premium will help, too.

The CVT is not one of Honda's trouble spots, so don't be worried about it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
A 2018-19 Accord with less than 30k miles may not be any cheaper than a brand new one. Hondas don't depreciate that much, and if you're financing, new-car interest rates are usually lower than used-car interest rates

You should be able to get a new Accord LX Sport (my favorite lackage) for under $23K.
Heck, call around. Maybe $22K or under?
All new, full warranty. Drive it forever.
It's a great driver's car. I'd buy one.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 Accord EX-L sedan with a V6 and 6MT. It had some early problems with the 6MT. The first transmission was replaced within 1500 Km because it jumped out of 1st or 2nd gear whenever I decelerated in gear. The dealer said "that transmission doesn't do that" but mine did. The replacement transmission is better but not perfect. It will jump out of gear if I'm inching down a long downhill slope in 1st gear - so I just don't do that. I use 2nd gear and a bit of braking. I suspect the higher weight of the Accord is the factor.

Other than that it's been a great car. It's had 1 warranty recall (to replace a hose), a dragging rear brake shoe, and a couple of burned out bulbs in 13 years and 180,000 Km.

I like the current Accord Sport with the 2.0 and 6MT. I've noticed that Honda sometimes has a few problems in the first year or two after a big model change and they get much more reliable after that. And we're there now. I might just buy one (to replace the BMW which is 20 years old).

If I wanted a big FWD sedan I would definitely consider the Accord- either a 1.5 manual or a 2.0(manual or automatic).

Originally Posted by lukejo
Just starting to look, and this one is high on the list. Would likely try to pick up one with less than 30k miles instead of new. I know opinions are strong on turbo, and especially CVT, but please have something of value if you're responding...not just, "no way I'd buy a CVT", etc..
1) I'm aware of the 1.5 fuel dilution debacle on some previous years of the 1.5 CRV, and I understand that some dilution is inherent to di turbo regardless. However, has anyone heard of serious dilution problems SPECIFICALLY IN THE 1.5T ACCORD? (2018-present)
**I find lots of complaints RE Honda fuel dilution and CVT issues, but I don't see much on the 10th gen Accord...which I assumed would suffer the same?
**I could possibly consider the 2.0T which comes with a more "traditional" non-CVT if that engine/tranny is known to be more reliable, but REALLY do not want to take the mpg hit if I can avoid it (long commutes).
**I'll add that we reside in IL, so some cold starts in the winter, but the car is never short-tripped...always driven 12 miles minimum, usually more.
Thanks-

Try and find non ethanol fuel. Using Castrol Edge or M1 5w30 change at 7500 and change CVT fluid with Castrol Transmax CVT fluid every 15k miles.

Originally Posted by lukejo
Thanks-

Unless you drive a LOT, or you are on such a t ight budget that you either should not be considering a newer vehicle (or maybe you keep them for 10 years or something, and it's just "that time again", if so, disregard), but I would in no way advise anyone ever to buy the 1.5/CVT instead of the amazing 2.0/10a offered in this platform.

A friend of mine went 2/10 and is extremely pleased. The numbers seem to back her choice. It's just a great combo. The 1.5T? Pass. It literally does nothing decent except squeak out a few mpg.

Back