AMSOIL 75w140 Require LS Additive? 🤔

Does Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 require the addition of a Limited Slip additive?

Specifically asking for a 2015 Ram 1500 w/ LS rear diff.

Btw... is @Pablo still active?

I remember him saying in the past that it wasn't necessarily needed and to run it straight. Then, if you hear chatter to add some. But, in most cases a LS additive wasn't needed.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/slip-lock-adatb/

AMSOIL Slip Lock Differential Additive is formulated for use with both synthetic and petroleum gear lubricants and safely replaces manufacturer-recommended friction modifiers. Its convenient squeeze-tube packaging provides quick and easy application to the gear housing. One four-ounce tube of Slip Lock treats differential capacities of two to four quarts. It is not for use in automatic transmissions or other applications requiring automatic transmission fluid.

NOTE: AMSOIL synthetic gear lubes do not require this additive. However, not all differentials respond the same and the addition of AMSOIL Slip Lock will eliminate chatter in mechanically sound differentials.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/severe-gear-75w-140-svo/
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. For applications that require additional limited-slip friction modifier, add AMSOIL Slip Lock®.

Last edited:
@UG_Passat Thanks! I looked at their site but didn't see that. ...

Screenshot_20200515-215511.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Does Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 require the addition of a Limited Slip additive?

Specifically asking for a 2015 Ram 1500 w/ LS rear diff.

Used ASG 75W/140 in my Mustang and son's F150
Both needed a small bottle of LS additive
Had more chatter in the F150 than the Mustang, but one bottle was the cure. So might was well add it from the beginning and you'll be good to go

As others have posted, Severe gear has the additive in it, but some applications may require more than the standard amount that Amsoil blends in.
My F350 limited slip seems happy with Severe gear without any additional additive.

I'm running SG75w110 in my Ram 2500 diesel rear end with LSD and no additional additive. Runs fine no issues.

I used to run RP75w140 In my Ram 1500 with no additional additive either without issues.

Most FS gear oils have some sort of LS additive already in it, even Wally World Supertech FS contains it.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a bottle of Redline Limited Slip additive and using the entire 4oz with 2.5qts of the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140.

I would have used the Amsoil LS additive if I could have found it locally and not only online. I'm sure mixing is fine but I prefer to keep things the same.

I ended up buying a bottle of Redline Limited Slip additive and using the entire 4oz with 2.5qts of the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140.

I would have used the Amsoil LS additive if I could have found it locally and not only online. I'm sure mixing is fine but I prefer to keep things the same.

Mixing is perfectly ok
I used Ford Racing LS additive, both vehicles working just fine

I put that Valvoline in the Charger … it was $12/quart whereas M1 was $20
(big price spread between M1 90 & 140)

Response from Amsoil after inquiring about LS addives:

Not so for everyone

I've bought Amsoil Gear Oil

Always needed FM

But to each there own

Back