I picked up the new 3/8 and 1/2 Craftsman digital torque wrenches

That one guy is going to think I am a shill again, but forget him with little time to do much else, I decided to pick up some new digital torque wrenches from Craftsman.

I got one in 3/8 and one in 1/2 drive and they are my new favorite tools. In the video above I showcase the 3/8 and then test out the 1/2 on my daily driver BMW E92 M3.

Good for you fringe. I have no experience with the new electronic craftsman stuff. I very recently bought a pair of the new gear wrench swivel head electronic torque angle wrench's and I love them!

I have no idea about how good or not they are but that type is the last thing I would use on lug nuts, they tend to be time consuming and finicky for lug nuts.
A split beam click type is ideal for that job and does not require setting to zero. Save the electronics for critical applications.
I use electronic/angle, split beam and normal clickers depending on the job.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Good for you fringe. I have no experience with the new electronic craftsman stuff. I very recently bought a pair of the new gear wrench swivel head electronic torque angle wrench's and I love them!

I had the previous "digi-click" Craftsman ones. They were weird, it was like a fake digital torque wrench (I was gifted them one Xmas). The odd thing about them was the box they came in said Craftsman, but nothing on the wrench did.

Originally Posted by Trav
I have no idea about how good or not they are but that type is the last thing I would use on lug nuts, they tend to be time consuming and finicky for lug nuts.
A split beam click type is ideal for that job and does not require setting to zero. Save the electronics for critical applications.
I use electronic/angle, split beam and normal clickers depending on the job.

Time consuming and finicky for lugs? How so?

With a digital you have to go slower than a click type for accuracy without going over. The knee/break mechanism found in split beam or conventional clicker is much faster and more than accurate enough, in fact some top shelf clickers are just as accurate as digital.
Digital are nice especially the angle type for TTY bolts but for lugs its a bit of an overkill.

49.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
With a digital you have to go slower than a click type for accuracy without going over. The knee/break mechanism found in split beam or conventional clicker is much faster and more than accurate enough, in fact some top shelf clickers are just as accurate as digital.
Digital are nice especially the angle type for TTY bolts but for lugs its a bit of an overkill.

49.gif

Gotcha, thanks for the insight.

Harbor Freight sells the same Torque Wrench under their QUINN brand for less and even comes with a better storage case.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Harbor Freight sells the same Torque Wrench under their QUINN brand for less and even comes with a better storage case.

I saw that, but like it is barely a $$$ savings it looks like?

I didn't want to make a new thread and be "that guy" but here ya go for an alternative

Back