Malibu Grand Prix

Yeah … did that a few times many moons ago … somewhere near the SW Freeway … ?

Our location was at the IH10/Loop410 interchange in San Antonio, Texas. It was hugely popular from the late '70s through the 90's. When the IMSA GP came to town for the street race a promotional event would be held pitting pros against locals. I took a Bob Bondurant Clinic there.

There were also two go-cart tracks in town. All are history now. I guess home arcade machines did it all in.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Our location was at the IH10/Loop410 interchange in San Antonio, Texas. It was hugely popular from the late '70s through the 90's. When the IMSA GP came to town for the street race a promotional event would be held pitting pros against locals. I took a Bob Bondurant Clinic there.

There were also two go-cart tracks in town. All are history now. I guess home arcade machines did it all in.

I still drive right by there many times a week. It's depressing with Castle Golf & Games AND Malibu Gran Prix gone. The Malibu track can still be seen but it
s almost been taken over by weeds since they fenced in the property. I had birthday parties at both places as a kid. I was told that if the guys that worked on the carts were there at night they would sometimes go drive the big carts through the neighborhood. I still have a couple Malibu licenses in a box somewhere.

Last edited:
I still have my old Malibu "license" in a drawer. The site was plowed over and an office building sits in its place.

There was another chain that didn't have formula cars, but a short oval track, and bumper boats.

But one of the most fun places I've ever been, and probably familiar to those in the Tri State area is this place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
I still have my old Malibu "license" in a drawer. The site was plowed over and an office building sits in its place.

There was another chain that didn't have formula cars, but a short oval track, and bumper boats.

But one of the most fun places I've ever been, and probably familiar to those in the Tri State area is this place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

Not to highjack this post
But I watched a news extra on Action Park and boy wete yall doing some crazy stuff.

The Johnny Knoxville movie Action Point was pretty funny too!

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Not to highjack this post
But I watched a news extra on Action Park and boy wete yall doing some crazy stuff.

The Johnny Knoxville movie Action Point was pretty funny too!

They also made a documentary about the place.

Some of the stuff was sketchy, but the wise would learn to avoid those rides. The rest was no more so than many other parks, also run by teenagers. The neat thing about AP was that it sort of legitimized a lot of the risky stuff kids (well, boys) used to do on their own anyway.

They had the formula cars like Malibu, karts, bumper boats, and one that stuck out in my my mind were mini armored vehicles where you'd shoot tennis balls at each other.

Now, kids grow up staring at screens, or at corporate parks used mainly to promote entertainment franchises.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan

I still drive right by there many times a week. It's depressing with Castle Golf & Games AND Malibu Gran Prix gone. The Malibu track can still be seen but it
s almost been taken over by weeds since they fenced in the property. I had birthday parties at both places as a kid. I was told that if the guys that worked on the carts were there at night they would sometimes go drive the big carts through the neighborhood. I still have a couple Malibu licenses in a box somewhere.
58DF3881-2AB0-4B37-BE64-72E43543174F.jpeg
My project Virage that I have not done anything with in 8 years.

Friends and I used to frequent MGP...still have my license in a drawer, too! I took my sister for a ride in the two seater, once. It was almost one long scream all the way around! lol!

I spent a lot of time lapping at one a long time ago in the Denver area., so much so my arms were sore the next day and I was in my late 20's.
Lot's of fun.

Back