Need an SUV, current model Year or CPO, no cvt.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I don't think GM uses CVT's, so you might look there
21.gif

Toyotas cost more because they make the best cars
smile.gif

By that logic, you should get a Mercedes GLS450. Those cost a lot more than a Toyota. You could go older with a GL450. See if they have the heated/cooled cup holder option. The GL550 or GLS550 tend to be more loaded but there aren't as many on the market but they both have two rows of seats. They start at around 35k and you can go up to 3 years CPO with unlimited miles plus the remainder of the factory warranty.

31.gif

Mercedes doesn't make good cars at all. A Land Cruiser or LX570 is much better than the GL-class

The OP was saying that Toyotas are overpriced, and I reminded him that they cost more for a reason and that they are worth the extra cost
smile.gif

Well if you're going up against the Land Cruiser, then you need the G wagon. Mercedes cost more for a reason too.

I don't think GM uses CVT's, so you might look there
21.gif

Toyotas cost more because they make the best cars
smile.gif

By that logic, you should get a Mercedes GLS450. Those cost a lot more than a Toyota. You could go older with a GL450. See if they have the heated/cooled cup holder option. The GL550 or GLS550 tend to be more loaded but there aren't as many on the market but they both have two rows of seats. They start at around 35k and you can go up to 3 years CPO with unlimited miles plus the remainder of the factory warranty.

31.gif

Mercedes doesn't make good cars at all. A Land Cruiser or LX570 is much better than the GL-class

The OP was saying that Toyotas are overpriced, and I reminded him that they cost more for a reason and that they are worth the extra cost
smile.gif

Well if you're going up against the Land Cruiser, then you need the G wagon. Mercedes cost more for a reason too.

...and reliability/durability is NOT that reason. A LC would pound a mud hole in a G wagon if the competition were "longevity and reliability ".

We need more info.

Price range?
Is 4wd important?
AWD with no two-speed transfer case?
Body-on-frame?
Luxury?
Power?
Reliability?

The wife drives an overpowered sports car disguised as an SUV. We recently picked up a new body-on-frame SUV that will see lots of 4wd trails, and do great in winter driving.

I have family members that drive a range of SUV's. All SUV's have their pluses and minuses.

Originally Posted by Ws6

...and reliability/durability is NOT that reason. A LC would pound a mud hole in a G wagon if the competition were "longevity and reliability ".

Yeah, but they hold their value vs other models like the GLS. The style is too old looking for me, but there are fans out there. Even a 10 year old model isn't that cheap. The high price for Mercedes isn't really for longevity and reliability. You can say the same for Land Rover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by altima_rider
I had similar requirements and got a 2016 RDX CPO last yr. So far it is great. I looked at Lexus RX350/200 but Acura RDX was cheaper by 4k.

If the OP thinks Toyota's are over priced I do not think he would like having to always use the more expensive hi-test gasoline that an Acura demands, and the lower MPGs that they get compared to other vehicles with smaller engines.

Last edited:
Same thing I was thinking when the Tahoe came up … we love ours but ain't cheap to buy or keep fueled up …

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I apologize for being sketchy with the requirements. But I'm glad most could make good suggestions.
I found out later that the budget is low, and I'm still not sure about whether AWD will be a requirement. When I say low budget, I'm talking $5500 down/under $300.00/mo.
That brings the range down to the KIA/Hyundai territory. I do like the CX5 suggestion though as it seems to fit the bill perfectly.
I was looking at a KIA Hamstermobile but that has the CVT. Good news is it can be had brand new for under $250.00 / mo.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by macarose
Go here.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/

Then here.

https://www.facebook.com/48-Hours-And-A-Used-Car-327864380887174/

When you get a clearer picture of what specfically you're looking for the rest will be easy.

Dashboard light can't even get the generations of vehicles right, lumping different generations or have entirely different drivetrains together. Consumer Reports or even JD Power is better than that steaming pile of hot garbage.

But it does prove that the mentally feeble can operate a website.

My son is leaning towards a base Kona while he saves up for a CPO M40i or similar; the price/value ratio is tough to beat.

Originally Posted by MCompact
My son is leaning towards a base Kona while he saves up for a CPO M40i or similar; the price/value ratio is tough to beat.

I've considered this or an Sq5 for my next vehicle. How much of a pain is a BMW nowadays? I recall my friends who owned them having tons of nickel and dime problems, over $2500+ or "unresolvable".

Originally Posted by GZRider
The CX-5 is an excellent vehicle that meets those requirements and is built on a well tested platform.

That sold a whole 154,500 units in 2019.

Compared to 384,000 CRV Sales

Compared to 448,00 RAV 4 sales in 2019

It seems there are others "better tested".

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by MCompact

I've considered this or an Sq5 for my next vehicle. How much of a pain is a BMW nowadays? I recall my friends who owned them having tons of nickel and dime problems, over $2500+ or "unresolvable".

I've owned 12 since 1983; the one expensive fix was a blown TC at @130k miles on the X3- which we ended up running for 12 years and 198k miles. It helps to have a competent indie shop or dealer. I've been contemplating a replacement for my M235i, but Dinan just announced a flash tune that would bump the hp to 388 and the torque to 428 ft lbs.(0n the 93 octane map). Maybe add an M Performance LSD and interior trim and driving it another 4-5 years. If not I'm looking at a CPO M4 or M2.
I really like the M40i but I want to stay with a coupe layout. I had an X5M press loaner a couple of years ago and I loved it- just incredibly quick with brakes and suspension to match My son and I hated to return it. Too pricey, however.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by GZRider
The CX-5 is an excellent vehicle that meets those requirements and is built on a well tested platform.

That sold a whole 154,500 units in 2019.

Compared to 384,000 CRV Sales

Compared to 448,00 RAV 4 sales in 2019

It seems there are others "better tested".

Going by this logic, Big Mac must be the best hamburger and Bud Light must be the best beer.
21.gif

I wonder why the normally aspirated 2016 Honda CR-V is ruled out even though it has a CVT. Honda makes a very reliable CVT though to keep it reliable you should change the fluid every 30K, (or 25K if severe conditions). But if you look on Youtube there are several videos on how to change the CVT fluid and it is super easy. Also, changing the engine oil and filter on them is super easy, check out the Youtube videos.

2016 is the model year to get for a used CR-V. The 2015 has some vibration problems with both the engine and the rear-end. The 2016 has that worked out to the point that if it ever happens it is very mild and extremely infrequent.

Or if you really want no CVT than a 2014 Honda CR-V still had the automatic. You could search on carfax used vehicle site for a good low millage one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I apologize for being sketchy with the requirements. But I'm glad most could make good suggestions.
I found out later that the budget is low, and I'm still not sure about whether AWD will be a requirement. When I say low budget, I'm talking $5500 down/under $300.00/mo.
-snip-
Thanks again.

31.gif

Going by monthly payment is a bad idea! Go by price of the car instead (20k, 25k, 30k, etc)
(Dealers love people who do the payment thing because they can sneak in a long loan, high interest rate, etc)

You can get a G-class or Landcruiser for $300 a month
banana2.gif

A quick search on carfax used vehicles using 32114 as a zipcode for Daytona Beach and a range of 75 miles shows a nice blue Honda CR-V EXL with no accidents and only 30,895 miles on it in Orlando and the free carfax service history shows that the oil was changed quite often enough, and the asking price is $15,494

The 2014 CR-V has an automatic transmission.

With $5500 down you could be paying around $200 a month.

Last edited:
Going by monthly payment is a bad idea! Go by price of the car instead (20k, 25k, 30k, etc)
(Dealers love people who do the payment thing because they can sneak in a long loan, high interest rate, etc)

You can get a G-class or Landcruiser for $300 a month
banana2.gif

That's going to be pretty hard. One of the cheapest G wagons I see is a 2003 with 130k for 25k. That's going to be $300 a month for probably 7 years and a good down payment. If you want one made in the last 10 years, they start more in the 40k range. So pick up a 10 year old G wagon for 40k and then drive it for 7 years and sell it for 25k. Only cost you 15k for 7 years of use. Plus repairs...

Back