Recent Topics
Hailstorm Yesterday
by Delta - 06/05/20 04:47 AM
Date code on Mighty Engine Guard II? Air Filter
by blufeb95 - 06/05/20 01:01 AM
My poor Jetta can't catch a break.
by FordBroncoVWJeta - 06/05/20 12:22 AM
Bought a truck finally, warning no Ford content
by bdcardinal - 06/04/20 11:31 PM
Got a septoplasty today....
by daves66nova - 06/04/20 10:44 PM
2020 330i xDrive Loaner
by MCompact - 06/04/20 10:02 PM
Appliance repair?
by motor_oil_madman - 06/04/20 09:44 PM
Glad we got a seasonal RV site
by Pat in Speedway - 06/04/20 09:19 PM
Mobil 1 AP Clearance at Wal-Mart
by KeithS_NW_Ohio - 06/04/20 09:07 PM
Recent experience with a Michelin Defender
by FordSVTGuy - 06/04/20 08:46 PM
music quality of speakers in the 70's vs now
by raaizin - 06/04/20 08:15 PM
pressure washer care
by raaizin - 06/04/20 08:06 PM
Watch Forums?
by maverickfhs - 06/04/20 07:53 PM
Who has a media/sand blast cabinet?
by spasm3 - 06/04/20 07:39 PM
Why isn't Polyethylene Glycol standard?
by RamFan - 06/04/20 06:37 PM
Motorcraft GF-6 at Quick Lane.
by Gene K - 06/04/20 06:29 PM
OEM Honda wiper blade curvature
by mclasser - 06/04/20 06:24 PM
GDI vs. MPFI OCI's
by LubricatusObsess - 06/04/20 06:19 PM
Mobil “full synthetic”
by 53' Stude - 06/04/20 06:01 PM
1992 Ford Ranger Brake Fluid Type
by yeehaw1960 - 06/04/20 04:21 PM
Newest Members
Jettero, stubby73, Polkaman, Ramboagain, tekfire07
71609 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (1911CHAMPION, Amkeer, bachman, BBC_bias, CB900F2, chuck172, 6 invisible), 759 guests, and 28 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,229
Posts5,288,659
Members71,609
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Malibu Grand Prix #5430976 05/16/20 09:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 547
IMSA_Racing_Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 547
When a teen my friends would pile into my Plymouth Duster and we would go have a blast at Malibu Grand Prix racing around trying to get the best lap time.


Re: Malibu Grand Prix [Re: IMSA_Racing_Fan] #5431013 05/16/20 10:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,863
4WD Offline
Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,863
Yeah … did that a few times many moons ago … somewhere near the SW Freeway … ?

Re: Malibu Grand Prix [Re: 4WD] #5431038 05/17/20 12:00 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 547
IMSA_Racing_Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 547
Our location was at the IH10/Loop410 interchange in San Antonio, Texas. It was hugely popular from the late '70s through the 90's. When the IMSA GP came to town for the street race a promotional event would be held pitting pros against locals. I took a Bob Bondurant Clinic there.

There were also two go-cart tracks in town. All are history now. I guess home arcade machines did it all in.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by IMSA_Racing_Fan; 05/17/20 12:01 AM.
Re: Malibu Grand Prix [Re: IMSA_Racing_Fan] #5431066 05/17/20 02:20 AM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 957
A
AdRock Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 957
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Our location was at the IH10/Loop410 interchange in San Antonio, Texas. It was hugely popular from the late '70s through the 90's. When the IMSA GP came to town for the street race a promotional event would be held pitting pros against locals. I took a Bob Bondurant Clinic there.

There were also two go-cart tracks in town. All are history now. I guess home arcade machines did it all in.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]


I still drive right by there many times a week. It's depressing with Castle Golf & Games AND Malibu Gran Prix gone. The Malibu track can still be seen but it
s almost been taken over by weeds since they fenced in the property. I had birthday parties at both places as a kid. I was told that if the guys that worked on the carts were there at night they would sometimes go drive the big carts through the neighborhood. I still have a couple Malibu licenses in a box somewhere.

Last edited by AdRock; 05/17/20 02:21 AM.

2018 Ford F150 STX Crew Cab 5.0
2002 Ford Mustang GT 4.6
2016 Ford Escape 2.4
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in all 3
Re: Malibu Grand Prix [Re: IMSA_Racing_Fan] #5431070 05/17/20 03:04 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 653
C
Carmudgeon Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 653
I still have my old Malibu "license" in a drawer. The site was plowed over and an office building sits in its place.

There was another chain that didn't have formula cars, but a short oval track, and bumper boats.

But one of the most fun places I've ever been, and probably familiar to those in the Tri State area is this place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

Re: Malibu Grand Prix [Re: Carmudgeon] #5431474 05/17/20 02:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,576
GumbyJarvis Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,576
Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
I still have my old Malibu "license" in a drawer. The site was plowed over and an office building sits in its place.

There was another chain that didn't have formula cars, but a short oval track, and bumper boats.

But one of the most fun places I've ever been, and probably familiar to those in the Tri State area is this place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park



Not to highjack this post
But I watched a news extra on Action Park and boy wete yall doing some crazy stuff.

The Johnny Knoxville movie Action Point was pretty funny too!


2018 Ram 1500 5.7L SLT
Group 7 V2222 - Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w30
Re: Malibu Grand Prix [Re: GumbyJarvis] #5431689 05/17/20 05:24 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 653
C
Carmudgeon Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 653
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis


Not to highjack this post
But I watched a news extra on Action Park and boy wete yall doing some crazy stuff.

The Johnny Knoxville movie Action Point was pretty funny too!


They also made a documentary about the place.

Some of the stuff was sketchy, but the wise would learn to avoid those rides. The rest was no more so than many other parks, also run by teenagers. The neat thing about AP was that it sort of legitimized a lot of the risky stuff kids (well, boys) used to do on their own anyway.

They had the formula cars like Malibu, karts, bumper boats, and one that stuck out in my my mind were mini armored vehicles where you'd shoot tennis balls at each other.

Now, kids grow up staring at screens, or at corporate parks used mainly to promote entertainment franchises.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™