Replaced brakes on son's 2008 Ford Ranger

Thursday I did all the work on my son's Ranger. This was on the front so I replaced the rotor- bearing hub and bearings and installed new ceramic pads. I'm 75 so this kind of work is a little harder on me now than years ago, but self fulfilling none the less. My son has a very bad back(disabled) so I manned up and saved him the labor cost. Brakes are now great.

That is awesome. Congrats on a successful job and kudos for doing your son a big favor. Brakes, to me, are especially satisfying to do. Not all that expensive, usually can feel a difference immediately, and stopping is, well, pretty darn important.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Well tig I'm 67 and thought I'd give up wrenching so I let the Lincoln dealer change the oil on the wife's nautilus. I was thinking that maybe a Lincoln dealer wouldn't be so bad but I was wrong. So, back to wrenching.....

Originally Posted by double vanos
Well tig I'm 67 and thought I'd give up wrenching so I let the Lincoln dealer change the oil on the wife's nautilus. I was thinking that maybe a Lincoln dealer wouldn't be so bad but I was wrong. So, back to wrenching.....

I've been driving my own vehicles for about 59 years now and have only had the oil changed twice. I still do some work on rides for the exact reason you speak of.

Awesome! Keeping busy is what keeps ya going! My grandfather is 80 years old, has 15 acres of land and is outside pretty much every day working on something. He is always in his garage or barn tinkering on a project. It keeps him busy and active.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Keep pulling those wrenches!

This ^^^^^^^^^

God bless your son.... And I really mean that sincerely...

A badly injured back is very, very difficult to deal with and try to live with...

Awesome. I have one of these trucks in the family too, it seems only the RWD ones have grease-able front hubs. How often are you supposed to do it? I'm thinking maybe every brake job should be sufficient.

That is great. Active people in older age tend to live a better quality life from what I have seen.

I took my newest Sable to Valvoline as the oil pan nut was stripped. Turned out they had records of doing it last and agreed to fix it free. Next change i did it and what an oddball size they used. Could not find a socket that size and I am sure that is done on purpose so you keep bringing it back to them. The little tiny filter they used was disappointing and they were not cheap so why do they use such a cheap filter. If I recall it was around $90 no extras just oil change to semi synthetic high mileage oil.

This is the Ford Ranger where the rotor and hub and bearing are one unit. Brilliant idea. I had Ford Ranger 4x4 many years ago and I believe that was the case. If I remember you needed a large 2" or 3" socket to get the unit apart. I assume Ford assumed on-vehivle rotor turning machines would be used.

Glad they have moved on with rotors design & assembly.

Originally Posted by Donald
This is the Ford Ranger where the rotor and hub and bearing are one unit. Brilliant idea. I had Ford Ranger 4x4 many years ago and I believe that was the case. If I remember you needed a large 2" or 3" socket to get the unit apart. I assume Ford assumed on-vehivle rotor turning machines would be used.

Glad they have moved on with rotors design & assembly.

No, 4wds are a completely different procedure from the 2wds. You just need a 1 1/16" socket. It's the same spindle and rotor setup as most RWD cars from the 70s and 80s.
[Linked Image from speednik.com]

Back