Which engine lives the harshest life?

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Marine engine.. With the sea salt water

^^^yup^^^ throw in incredible stress on the engine components pushing a boat through water. (boats dont have wheels that roll)
These engines are simply modified automobile engines and not designed from the ground up for this task... many years ago Mercury Marine made for decades a killer 4 cylinder engine for this task but abandoned it around 1990's ish?

(this is in regard to your common American pleasure craft boats 14 to 44 feet)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Marine engine.. With the sea salt water

^^^yup^^^ throw in incredible stress on the engine components pushing a boat through water. (boats dont have wheels that roll)
These engines are simply modified automobile engines and not designed from the ground up for this task... many years ago Mercury Marine made for decades a killer 4 cylinder engine for this task but abandoned it around 1990's ish?

(this is in regard to your common American pleasure craft boats 14 to 44 feet)

Almost 5,000 hours on the Chrysler Marine 440 in my cousin's old ski boat...aside from him re-gasketing it after the PO capsized it and sucked water, never apart. Still has the factory internals other than the oil pump.

The marine engine has it toughest.

Wow 5K hours is awesome, but I wonder what the output HP was?

The high performance BBC's these days dont get anywhere near that, 250-500 on the top, 1-2K on the bottom end.

UD

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by UncleDave
The marine engine has it toughest.

Wow 5K hours is awesome, but I wonder what the output HP was?

The high performance BBC's these days dont get anywhere near that, 250-500 on the top, 1-2K on the bottom end.

UD

[Linked Image]

That 440 is probably like my smog era Oldsmobile 350. Other engines when I go wide open throttle it feels like I'm beating on them....these ones it's just loafing along with very little stress. Boats however spend more time under load than cars especially if you're pulling skiers.

Seems pretty healthy...spec is essentially a 440 Super Commando (375hp) but with less compression to run on marina gas. Even has a Holley Strip Dominator intake.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
watch deadliest catch.. there seems to be engine troubles throughout the season

Typical written in drama you can expect on a "reality" show.

TV make fools out of people.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
UncleDave,

Approx how much is that engine to purchase ?

Thats a 600 SCI around 56K with a bravo 1 outdrive...so about 40K split out.

UD

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Seems pretty healthy...spec is essentially a 440 Super Commando (375hp) but with less compression to run on marina gas. Even has a Holley Strip Dominator intake.
laugh.gif

I guess it depends on perspective.

Thats actually pretty moderate output for that even w iron heads, no doubt adding to longevity.

my 406 SBC was basically a 500/500 engine it ran about 3.5-4K before I blew it up.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
laugh.gif

I guess it depends on perspective.

Thats actually pretty moderate output for that even w iron heads, no doubt adding to longevity.

my 406 SBC was basically a 500/500 engine it ran about 3.5-4K before I blew it up.

UD

Your 406 was not a production line engine.

I also expect your 406 wouldn't run on 80-octane gas!

I would imagine anything in the Freightliner P-series step vans used by Fedex and UPS would be under harsh duty cycles. Lots of stop and go operations. I doubt they get serviced on time either.

Back