Tire failure

Well mt favorite front has finally bit the dust. I purchased a few of these tires 10 years ago, and I think they were pretty old at that time. I didn't care as I love this tire as a front, 2.30 Resolution Pro
frown.gif

Was it age or did I cut it on the trail? Tire held air my whole ride, but was flat when I went out this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW this guy hung out with me all day, stayed on this tire for about 6 hours until I finally had to move the bike

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Yeah after 10+ years the rubber seems to harden and crack. I had some of the last of my favorite tires, panaracer fire xc, have the knobs just rip off the carcass as they got old.

Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
[Linked Image]

Kinda looks like some type of chemical damage maybe?

I think that is just where the latex leaked out from the stan's no tube.

Looks like the damage might have been from the inside. Could be from the latex mix, this was not a tubeless ready tire but I always ran them tubeless. Perhaps the many years of that stuff sloshing around in there finally broke the rubber down. The area is really soft and tears easily.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Looks like the damage might have been from the inside. Could be from the latex mix, this was not a tubeless ready tire but I always ran them tubeless. Perhaps the many years of that stuff sloshing around in there finally broke the rubber down. The area is really soft and tears easily.

[Linked Image]

Some tires were not recommended to run tubeless due to the casing material and the amount of ammonia in the original Stan's formulation, back in the day.

I haven't had issues with Specialized 2Bliss (or 2BR) tires with sealant.

Typically, tubeless tires have a halobutyl rubber liner to keep air from permeating through the tire.

I agree. Air permeating the tire caused an internal separation, which after a while caused the tread to crack.

Back