First trip booked, call me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me crazy, but I received word from SEMA that they were planning on going ahead with the show, so I booked a $75 round trip non-stop from MSP-LAS, booked the Strat for $49 a night from November 3rd-7th, and paid my show registration fee.

Now it's a waiting game. I'm not at all worried about travel, especially 6 mo. out, but it will be interesting to see what the environment looks like at that time. I fully expect Vegas to be open, so even if the show doesn't happen I still plan on making a trip out of it. I'm not much of a gambler but I do enjoy Vegas and can't see myself having a bad time regardless.

Hope everyone is staying happy and healthy out there!

Nice … and I'm just thrilled to have just had my 3 egg and 3 strip breakfast (inside) for the first time in months …
$10 breakfast and $10 tip …! (for the young lady with a blue mask).

I have trips to Vegas booked for the end of June and September. Doubt I'll be going in June but have a 8 nights on the Strip and round trip airfare out of PHL for a total of $430. My tickets to Morrissey cost over half the cost of the airfare and hotel.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Nice … and I'm just thrilled to have just had my 3 egg and 3 strip breakfast (inside) for the first time in months …

Lucky you. We are still on full lockdown for no reason other than the fella running the state is a power hungry fool.

At this far out of a date, it's hard to say how crazy it is. Basically depends how many are wandering around that are asymptomatic. Some countries are already opening up as they get a handle on the number of infected people.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by 4WD

Lucky you. We are still on full lockdown for no reason other than the fella running the state is a power hungry fool.

And the restaurant managed it so well. At the entrance was a gallon of sanitizer with a sign saying all customers must use it. The tables were spread out with the 50% rule. The condiments were gone … slick/hard tables that got spray wiped. Wait staff had masks.
Even at the register they had placed tables in the way … the lady held out a tray at arms length (both of you) and you did your cash or credit card like that. There was a wide mouth tip jar on those blocker tables. It was stuffed by happy campers!

I'd bet Vegas has this all figured out … but it's certainly different crowd numbers.

I had, or I should say have, a trip scheduled to Sturgis S.D. for the Mustang rally on Sept 1st. I will wait till mid August to decide if we will go or not. I have till Aug 18th to cancel my room for a full refund of deposit. It will have to get a lot better than now for me to risk it, as I am in the high risk group.

If your in CA as your profile would have it, cases are quite high and either steady or increasing depending on how you look at it.
Definitely not decreasing. So, good job to you and the people of CA for following orders?

Originally Posted by old1
I had, or I should say have, a trip scheduled to Sturgis S.D. for the Mustang rally on Sept 1st. I will wait till mid August to decide if we will go or not. I have till Aug 18th to cancel my room for a full refund of deposit. It will have to get a lot better than now for me to risk it, as I am in the high risk group.

September would probably be a bit soon for me, I think 6 months out is my safety net. I'm all in to this for less than $350 (if I don't rent a car), and I stand to lose the money if I don't go, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Luckily for me, I'm in a position where the money being lost isn't a huge issue. The hotel is non-refundable (Hotwire Hot Rate), but every other room was $180+ per night, the Strat itself was over $200 if booked directly, so I'd rather take the up front savings and accept the risk of a trip in vain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Davejam

If your in CA as your profile would have it, cases are quite high and either steady or increasing depending on how you look at it.
Definitely not decreasing. So, good job to you and the people of CA for following orders?

California officials will report whichever numbers or trends support their narrative. It's 2020 and truth and facts are relative.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by Davejam

California officials will report whichever numbers or trends support their narrative. It's 2020 and truth and facts are relative.

There's a difference between spin and data. I'm not sure you know the difference.

California is a big state with a couple of mega urban areas (LA and the Bay area), other smaller urban areas (like Sacramento and San Diego) lots of suburban areas and, believe it or not, lots of country living and open space. I think what Chris means is what is appropriate for Frisco and LA is not necessarily appropriate for the sparsely populated high desert where he lives, and local controls vs. Statewide may be more appropriate.

Last edited:
Wolf, in this case I believe the data is very suspect. Some places like New York have an incentive for over reporting CV deaths, and have been doing so. Others have an incentive for underreporting and have listed other causes of death while avoiding testing.
Hopefully the authorities will get this squared out at the national level, but I suspect it will take some time.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Wolf, in this case I believe the data is very suspect. Some places like New York have an incentive for over reporting CV deaths, and have been doing so. Others have an incentive for underreporting and have listed other causes of death while avoiding testing.
Hopefully the authorities will get this squared out at the national level, but I suspect it will take some time.

I think the same thing happened in China. Just like the Spanish flu you probably won't get an exact number but the fact that people are dead and the cause may not be due to the virus is not in question. Nevertheless they are still dead. You have the murky case where people aren't going to the hospital because they have heart attacks or strokes. Now do you blame that on the virus because they were afraid to go or do you just chalk that up to heart attacks and strokes? They may have been saved if they had went to the hospital. I don't think you can make the case that just because the numbers may be inaccurate, that it is all false. You would never get an accurate number and no one ever expects you will.

This discussion has turned political.

To the OP, your trip will probably be ok if we listen to reasonable decision making...how likely do you think that'll be just based on this discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back