Another wheel hub assembly brand.

I was reccomend Timken a few months back. I bought to and replaced both my front bearings. After a month one of them went bad. Out of good faith a bought another and this one didn't even wait a full day to start sounding like a jet. Any other decent brands out there? I was thinking about moog or mevotech. (Side note: both were made in China.)

I've had good luck with Timken and SKF over the years and I've never had to re-replace a bearing.
Have you ever considered that it might be your installation technique?

this is a 2010 jeep commander 3.7. I severely doubt i am putting it on wrong. Other side works just fine. Everything is in place correctly and torqued to spec.

I put a Timken hub on my 01 Dakota a year ago, no problems yet. It had the same markings as the hub I took off, supposedly they are/were the OEM.

Are you sure it's the hub, and not brakes?

Originally Posted by HangFire
I put a Timken hub on my 01 Dakota a year ago, no problems yet. It had the same markings as the hub I took off, supposedly they are/were the OEM.

Are you sure it's the hub, and not brakes?

I just replaced the caliper mounting bracket and pins a few months before that. The pins are still freely moving so I doubt it. When I put the new one on it was quieter for a short time. Definitely the hub.

Timken, SKF (also sold as napas premium line) or oem are going to be the best you are going to get.
I know the Autovalue stores sell Moog as their better line, I believe with a 3 year warranty, they are still made in china, so I'm not really confident enough to try them.
Mevotech is usually low end china stuff, so id scratch that off your list.

It does seem strange that you had 2 timkens fail so quickly. Are you sure you have tge proper torque spec on the axle nut?

I typically get similar life from a Timken bearing as oem.

I'll also chime in it's odd the Timken failed real quick. The Timken rear wheel bearing assembly that I bought for my Tacoma even has the OEM Koyo bearing in it. The rest of the assembly is supposedly USA made. Where did you get your bearing? Possibly a China knock-off? That said, you might have to go with SKF's or possibly even a Mopar unit.

I bought a Timken hub assembly for a Chrysler T&C and it failed in less than a month. Made in China. From AAp, took it back and got refund. Ordered one off RA that was China too, but worked fine. Very spotty quality from China it seems.

I put Mevotach 'Supreme' sway end links on my daughters Elantra and now have to replace them after a couple of years due to clunking...
They were made in China. I was very happy to see that the Moog's that I just purchased from RA are made in Mexico. I think that most
Chinese products are J-U-N-K but I do realize that it's all about money....

It was torqued to 100ft pounds. The timken i put on that still works wasn't from China. I can't remember were it was from but I do remember noticing that they were both from different countries. Another side note: I'm not one that believes all Chinese stuff is junk. I have received a good amount of stuff from there that I would deem as quality. However in this case it seems to be junk.

What vehicle? 100 ft-lbs seems a bit lower than ?? the average vehicle, and a lot lower than some. I mean for the axle nut.

I've had acceptable life from some Chinese parts, but don't want Chinese bearings. Throw a good bearing in a Chinese hub and maybe it'll be okay.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
What vehicle? 100 ft-lbs seems a bit lower than ?? the average vehicle, and a lot lower than some. I mean for the axle nut.

I've had acceptable life from some Chinese parts, but don't want Chinese bearings. Throw a good bearing in a Chinese hub and maybe it'll be okay.

Torque does seem very low. I have had 180 ft lbs on a Chrysler to 250 ft lbs on a Mercury.

Rock Auto has the Mopar hubs
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Dave9

Torque does seem very low. I have had 180 ft lbs on a Chrysler to 250 ft lbs on a Mercury.

You're more than welcome to look it up. Vehicle is stated above.

Timken, from my observations tends to be a repackager of hub bearings. Caveat emptor. The last two(one bad from Amazon) I installed were the OEM Koyo part.

The only wheel bearings Timken makes in-house are tapered roller bearings and those I would trust.

Originally Posted by nthach

The only wheel bearings Timken makes in-house are tapered roller bearings and those I would trust.

That is 100% false. Timken manufactures all of their branded bearings and I challenge anyone to provide actual proof to the contrary.

That line of thought can only come from people who have never worked with them and actually developed design specifications for machines- it cant come from anywhere else or anyone who has actually been involved with them.

I would like to know what specific Timken branded bearing by class or number that is made elsewhere?

There are some cases among manufacturers where small volume specialty bearings are made by a different manufacturer and branded due to cost of tooling up or other factors but this isn't one of them. ( those are rare anyway)

I have Timken bearing on the shelf that were made in China, maybe by Tinken in China, but I got them cheap. I have had good luck with the eBay off-shore made bearings for my Ford Explorer.

Timken are OEM for most Ford trucks so it's what I use. Mine are still made in the USA but not all Timkens. Moog bearings for my application are made in Korea. Timkens, Moog and SKF are the only brands I have traditionally trusted.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
I have had good luck with the eBay off-shore made bearings for my Ford Explorer.

I also did, for my Olds Silhouette van. From Detroit/Dearborn Axle. They're still in business now, 8 years later, so their stuff can't be that awful.

Back