2018 Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6, M1AP 0w20 8k OCI

Another run of M1 AP 0w20 in the Gen 1 Penatastar.

I took the OLM down to about 2% on this one, changing at exactly 8k miles on the oil. I added a little less than 1/4 quart in February. This was the first OCI with a Mobil 1 oil filter. Other than the factory fill, each oil filter has been a Fram Ultra. The M1 filter came out with more twist than any previous filter, but it appears to have held together just fine, with no apparent weak spots. I've got 12 more M1 filters I picked up on clearance at Wallyworld awhile back for 4 bucks each. I attribute the slightly higher insolubles to the long run rather than a less efficient filter. I'm planning on going 5k on this and subsequent OCI's, but there's always a chance I'll go the full OLM distance. We'll see.

I filled it with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 that Shell paid me 10 bucks to use. ($10 clearance, + $10 AZ Rewards, +$10 rebate).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not impressed with Mobil 1 filters. We used a cartridge filter in my daughters for about 6k and it was twisted and separated. Fram Ultras and Mann filters hold up much better. Too bad you have all those Mobil 1 filters. Maybe you shouldn't run them for more than 5k.

Originally Posted by loneryder
I'm not impressed with Mobil 1 filters. We used a cartridge filter in my daughters for about 6k and it was twisted and separated. Fram Ultras and Mann filters hold up much better. Too bad you have all those Mobil 1 filters. Maybe you shouldn't run them for more than 5k.

I'll likely go 5k oci's in the future. I checked the filter and pulled and yanked on it and it held together well, but it certainly did twist more. But, they have all twisted in this application. This one just twisted more. If I see something that indicates it has compromised in any way, I won't run the rest of them. I did read that the M1 filter is slightly longer than others for the 3.6, so maybe it doesn't move like it is supposed to in the engine and that's why it twists? Not sure. I'll also ditch them if I see insolubles are consistently higher. I attribute it in this sample to the 8k run.

I'm still a fan of the Ultras.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of them too for my Rubicon. I'm hoping they aren't an issue. Your report looks fine, so I think the oil and filter did their job.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I bought a bunch of them too for my Rubicon. I'm hoping they aren't an issue. Your report looks fine, so I think the oil and filter did their job.

Yep, I think everything, including the filtration, looks good.

Gotta say, I just love this engine. It just does everything I ask of it exceptionally well. Lots of fun to drive it.

Originally Posted by IndyFan

Gotta say, I just love this engine. It just does everything I ask of it exceptionally well. Lots of fun to drive it.

Yes, I'm pleased with mine as well, and would buy another 3.6L Jeep w/o hesitation.

I didn't realize I cut off the viscosity and other data at the bottom. Here is the corrected photo....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
I am also using the M1 filter (picked up a bunch from Wal-Mart for ~$3 a filter) on my 3.6L V6 and didn't notice the pleat twisting issue. Out of curiosity, do you torque the oil filter cap to 18 ft/lbs?

Originally Posted by newtoncd8
I am also using the M1 filter (picked up a bunch from Wal-Mart for ~$3 a filter) on my 3.6L V6 and didn't notice the pleat twisting issue. Out of curiosity, do you torque the oil filter cap to 18 ft/lbs?

Yep, I've done that but I've also torqued it less than that and still got some twist. The M1 I just ran was the first M1 filter, though. At the end of the day, I don't think the twisting is causing any issues. It is just weird.

Originally Posted by CaspianM
I wouldn't use M1. Glad you are using shell now.

Why? The M1 has done just fine. I doubt we'll see a huge difference when the RTG comes out at 5k.

Back