Collinite - Slow to change / adapt?

Nobody can for certain answer this, but we sure can offer up some opinions.......

I noticed Collinite (I've only heard of them since 2005) has not really changed their product lineup. I think they might have added a detailer spray but im not quite sure. With such a cult following and such a solid product lineup, it seems like with migration towards ceramics, and with graphine just being in its infant stages, i wonder if followers will slowly move away from collinite. I myself have two tubs of 476s and some 845, but have started to explore ceramics. If they prove better, i may choose to switch. I often wonder why they have not expanded their offerings to some newer technology, without disrupting their current lineup, to keep their followers. Who wouldn't jump on a brand new state of the art cermic or graphine product from collinite?

I actually think they were ahead of the game in at least one respect - hybrid wax/polymer products. I have absolutely no information, but perhaps the folks who the chemists or product developers are no longer with the company.

Duragloss did come out with a pure ceramic, and now have a ceramic spray sealant, though it seems to be very expensive.

Reactions: JC1
I am I die-hard Collinite user. But I have sinned and purchased some "The Last Coat" Ceramic Wax. I wanted to test it against my tried and true. We shall son see what it does.

I will still turn to 845 for it's longevity and ease of application. I'm not buying into this ceramic wax stuff yet, quality ceramic coats are too costly and time consuming for my liking. Synthetic waxes don't offer enough depth.

There's no reason for Collinite to change their formula, what they have works. Easy to apply and remove, looks amazing, lasts a long time, and doesn't stain trim. REAL ceramics last longer, but you have to know what you're doing to prep the surface and apply them, and it's very time consuming, or you have to pay a professional to apply them which is very expensive. These other so called easy to apply spray-on ceramics like Meguiar's, TW, Mother's, etc, are more hype than anything, and have not shown to last any longer than products like Collinite. They are easier to use, but that's about their only advantage...

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Seal n shine TW will outlast Collinite

I'd have to see it to see it to believe it. I get a good, solid 6 months from the 845. The 476 is supposed to last even longer. I doubt there are any spray-on sealants/waxes (short of applying REAL ceramics, which is both time consuming and expensive) that will last this long...

Having used both...collinite for many years.
TW hybrid ceramic beat out collinite by months.

Both were a single coat on the hood. Split on half.

TW is also 1 million times easier to work with.

I just threw out my collinite 476 yesterday....🤫

Originally Posted by nicholas
Having used both...collinite for many years.
TW hybrid ceramic beat out collinite by months.

Both were a single coat on the hood. Split on half.

TW is also 1 million times easier to work with.

I just threw out my collinite 476 yesterday....🤫

Sounds like it'll be worth the purchase price of the TW to find out for myself...

Try the hybrid ceramic over the slick n shine.

The hybrid is much easier to use and lasts longer.

Two coats 24 hours apart should last 1 year.

Its reat stuff. deep gloss that really pops on the second coat.

Use it sparingly---- too much can cause streaking when you go to buff off.
requiring more buffing.

Originally Posted by nicholas
Use it sparingly---- too much can cause streaking when you go to buff off.
requiring more buffing.

Agree completely. Sometimes it is easier to control by spraying on a MF applicator and spreading - then buffing.

Originally Posted by pair of Blazers
been using 885 Fleetwax for a long time as a winter coat.
476 or FK1000 in summer and have a few spray waxes.curious about the Si sprays now though

885 and 476 are the same product.

Just rewaxed the Fusion with the 845. It lasted 6 months this time. We'll see how it does this summer.
Thinking of trying the 476S or the FK 1000 when I run out of 845.

I'm a hobbyist detailer. Ceramics are supposed to outlast sealants and waxes. Maybe they do/will, but where's the fun in that ?

I like to take a few hours twice a year on each of my vehicles to prep & wax them. With Collinite, I know I can get 6 months durability.

They don't unveil new products often and I believe that this is a good thing in a way.

Take for example Meguiar's who have so many overlapping product lines it's actually confusing. I learned to detail with Meguiar's 3 steps Deep Crystal line. Since then, they have multiplied products to a point where I don't know what I should use in their lineup. They have maybe a dozen soaps, over 20 waxes/sealants and about 10 different cleaners, polishes or both in one.

I admit Collinite have too many waxes on their offering. They could simplify it to 476, 845 and 915, that would cover all needs. They have ONE polish (390), ONE all in one cleaner wax (325) and ONE spray wax/qd (520). I bought a bottle of each and they work well, which allowed me to simplify my process and reduce the number of product bottles on the shelf. They also have other products for metal and such but I don't need those on my vehicles. Since Collinite doesn't cover all product types, I also have other brands for other uses (carpet, upholstery, glass, plastic trim, soap, clay bar etc...)

Even if they did, I probably wouldn't be an all Collinite user. I've never seen a detailing products brand who excels in all product types.

I think I'm getting old because I get annoyed at the multiple overlapping products from 1 manufacturer.
Thankfully sites such as BITOG help bring some clarity.
Collinite easily beats the Mothers and the McGuire waxes that I tried out and it has something they don't.....it does not stain the trim.
Ah.....to each his own......

Back