3/16 inch double flaring tool

I'll hope to try out this flaring tool this weekend. Special purpose but it's what I need. Anyone use one?

E1889C49-FF00-4CCD-A9BE-3DC3F09EC9A3.jpeg

7E606E23-75BF-4BDA-BE62-7DAAE3E2536B.jpeg

Reactions: JC1
40 years ago I bought my double flaring kit that does all the different sizes. For all the time I've had it and all the jobs I've done, I think I only used the two common sizes for brake lines and fuel lines.

Not that one in particular but a similar setup.

Make sure you get nice square cuts. Filing the end helps. I run a 1/8" drill bit down the inside of the line to clean them up.

And of course remember to slide the line nuts over before you make the flare, or you're stuck!

For a real set of giggles, do them under the car with the existing line while brake fluid slowly trickles out.

Off topic, but did anyone notice the sticker on the Die Lubricant? "Not safe for consumption". Um.... thanks?

Anyways, good luck on the job. I absolutely detest making lines, and I'm decently good at it. It's just a pain no matter what, especially on-car.

Anyways, good luck on the job. I absolutely detest making lines, and I'm decently good at it. It's just a pain no matter what, especially on-car.

Brother you said a mouthful . Those things just plain SUCK.

Used them often at work. Don't for get the nut before you flare,,, I hate when that happens.

3/16" is the toughest flare to get perfect. After cutting the line I file the tubing flush, Then run a Snap-on awl down it's throat. Then I oil the die before running it down.
I have Blue Point & Imperial double flare kits & both work well with the above prep.

Don't live in the rust belt, So bending & flaring lines isn't something we do on daily drivers. My experience comes from building cars from the ground up & doing disc brake conversions. I prefer doing single flare AN/JIC seamless stainless but it's so expensive only high-end jobs got that treatment.

I'll hope to try out this flaring tool this weekend. Special purpose but it's what I need. Anyone use one?

View attachment 23271

View attachment 23272
I just ordered this from Amazon. I need it for the Civic. How did it work out for you Snagglefoot?

The rear lines are rusted right to the end, so i needed to disconnect the other hold downs to get them to drop a bit lower. I also need to remove the plastic coating in this section to be able to flare it properly and get the flare nuts inserted beforehand.

Only worked with 3/16. Learned the hard way that each and every cut must be dressed. I got pretty good at it up here in rust belt. I dealt with bubble flares by buying a short pre-made piece of with bubble ends, cutting it and splicing in a length of double flare. The grease isn't for eating, probably tastes better than brake fluid 😃

Only worked with 3/16. Learned the hard way that each and every cut must be dressed. I got pretty good at it up here in rust belt. I dealt with bubble flares by buying a short pre-made piece of with bubble ends, cutting it and splicing in a length of double flare. The grease isn't for eating, probably tastes better than brake fluid 😃

I flared the rear lines last night. What a world of difference with this tool, the quality of flares is just as good as the pre formed lines you can buy. Yes I filed the cut lines flat, deburred and tried to chamfer the sides with a file. I would not want to use this tool underneath the car. Takes a bit longer measuring the lines and then getting out from under the car to flare etc.

Back