Pennzoil ATF

Hope you're all well. Have a 370z and it asked for Dexron VI ATF for the power steering fluid. Would this be usable? I do not see the Dexron VI label and it's making me wonder.

BAA9FCCC-A7CA-4141-BAE4-22F603ABCD7A.jpeg

326FB2ED-8737-496C-8D8C-98D7F5BE3C43.jpeg

It will work fine. Its just a higher viscosity synthetic fluid. So think Dex3 viscosity but with Dex6 additives/synthetic base.

Steering systems for most cars are not that picky. Yours is a not picky one.

it says on the back Dexron IIIH (which is obsolete and not licensed). That will start as a higher viscosity but may shear down.

Id get a Dex VI fluid if possible...

Originally Posted by Jimzz
It will work fine. Its just a higher viscosity synthetic fluid. So think Dex3 viscosity but with Dex6 additives/synthetic base.

Steering systems for most cars are not that picky. Yours is a not picky one.

+1

Thanks for getting back quick I appreciate it, was in a pinch sitting in the parking lot wondering if this was good enough or not. Also, thank you to everyone else as well. I returned it none the less. It was bottled in 2015, though it wouldn't be spoiled I wanted peace of mind on something more "fresh".

Last edited:
I figured you were sitting at a fuel station waiting for a response because it's the only place I've seen this stuff around here. Shell?

My car uses Dexron VI in the power steering pump....

I put Dexron VI in it...

I guess Dexron III could be ok??....

But I don't like playing around with stuff like this.

I buy and use cheap oil but it meets the spec the manufacturer calls for. I do not use a transmission fluid that does not meet spec. There is more to ATF than just viscosity and it only cost maybe another $5 to get the correct fluid and it last for years.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
I figured you were sitting at a fuel station waiting for a response because it's the only place I've seen this stuff around here. Shell?

Actually ordered it from NAPA online, went to pick it up and got this old outdated bottle, did not match the picture or meet Dexron VI. I said [censored] no to the no and gave it back. I posted here to make sure, this site has great members and info.

Originally Posted by bbhero

I put Dexron VI in it...

I feel ya. Went and got the correct spec after returning it.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
I buy and use cheap oil but it meets the spec the manufacturer calls for. I do not use a transmission fluid that does not meet spec. There is more to ATF than just viscosity and it only cost maybe another $5 to get the correct fluid and it last for years.

Got the correct spec shortly after returning it, went to Canadian Tire after.

Originally Posted by Averroes
Originally Posted by GSCJR

Actually ordered it from NAPA online, went to pick it up and got this old outdated bottle, did not match the picture or meet Dexron VI. I said [censored] no to the no and gave it back. I posted here to make sure, this site has great members and info.

Originally Posted by bbhero

I put Dexron VI in it...

I feel ya. Went and got the correct spec after returning it.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis

Got the correct spec shortly after returning it, went to Canadian Tire after.

Pennzoil actually blends a LV fluid which is MERCON LV and DEXRON VI licensed. You did right returning this.

Back