Classic Mower?

What do you do with one of these? Can't put a good motor on it and sell it. Don't want to use it. It would rip me apart to scrap it, and yet, I guess that's what is going to happen. Wonder if anyone wants it for yard art.

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

Last edited:
A harbor freight motor will fit right on, cast deck will last forever. Blade adapter and blades should be no problem.

Good old mower has some (maybe 100) value as antique if deck not broken and if if that motor can be made to run. They are simple, should be easy to get to run

Rod

People that actually mow lawns don't want that thing. Hard to start year in and year out, think Honda. No adjustments, bag? Any investment is a waste of money. Even if you could get it to run as is, it isn't worth much for anyone looking to do actual mowing. It may have value as art but I doubt it. Free metal scrap bin at the dump.......

I'd take the fan cover and recoil! I have the same motor on my 40 year old tiller and the recoil isn't happy anymore. I have to admit since I got a riding mower, my old lawnboy doesn't get used that much anymore. Probably I should sell it while it still works. That is my favorite style of mower though, no bagger to fool with or drive system and nice and light.

As long as the engine turns over, has compression, it can be made to run. Those old B & S engines from the 60's and 70's are probably the most rugged small engines ever made. You can abuse them, neglect them and they keep running strong. About the only thing that does them in is a bent crank from hitting something big.Would make a good beater mower to cut some rugged areas. That mower in good running condition will take more punishment than any walk behind made today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
People that actually mow lawns don't want that thing. Hard to start year in and year out, think Honda. No adjustments, bag? Any investment is a waste of money. Even if you could get it to run as is, it isn't worth much for anyone looking to do actual mowing. It may have value as art but I doubt it. Free metal scrap bin at the dump.......

In this case beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people may say the same thing about a 1964 Plymouth Fury 440.
wink.gif

I'd clean it up and hang from the ceiling at an angle so you could see most of the aluminum deck. No way would I throw that away.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
Originally Posted by sloinker

In this case beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people may say the same thing about a 1964 Plymouth Fury 440.
wink.gif

Doubt it. Everyone know '64 Plymouth Fury's rule!
19.gif

Does it run? Someone will buy it on craigslist, facebook market place etc. Even if it doesn't run put it up for $20 and someone will come take it.

You can just keep it along with the other things there. Or get rid of the other things and keep it. You can also make someone happy by putting it out for free and they quickly grab it.

[/quote] In this case beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people may say the same thing about a 1964 Plymouth Fury 440.
wink.gif
[/quote] Anything with a 440 in it is beautiful.

You would be surprised what people would pay for an old lawn mower like that. Put a bid on it on eBay and see if anyone's interested. Have them pay for shipping of course. Its not really worth much at scrap weight as it doesn't weigh anything. I bet you there's a Facebook group for a lawn mowers to come by there might want it.

No way I'd get rid of that. This Covid mess has had me working at home for two months. I love small engines and realize how much extra personal time I give up to work and how I've put my hobbies aside. I've already restored an old Bolens snow blower, finally cleaned and started my old Winco Genny and painted pieces of my ProMac 555 chainsaw that I rebuilt years ago.

That Mustang would probably run in an hour or two with some elbow grease.

i have one that looks almost the same...was told it is a early 80's vintage but i'm not sure .has been thru a war or two and still running

Originally Posted by Zaedock
No way I'd get rid of that. This Covid mess has had me working at home for two months. I love small engines and realize how much extra personal time I give up to work and how I've put my hobbies aside. I've already restored an old Bolens snow blower, finally cleaned and started my old Winco Genny and painted pieces of my ProMac 555 chainsaw that I rebuilt years ago.

That Mustang would probably run in an hour or two with some elbow grease.

I hear you there! Same work situation. I've gotten so much done that I've put off, not to mention my OPE is getting extra special attention this Spring.

Back