The new ck4 oil and adding Schaeffers Molly oil treatment any downsides

The new oils that I don't have Molly zinc or phosphorus is there any downside Adding a Molly treatment to it.

Because they don't use zinc phosphorus remotely what additives do they use for high pressure protection?

How do you do a oil test to see how much of the additive is left or working

Of course the OEM's won't tell you. The tribologists on here can tell you which elements that show up on spectrometry are the antiwear elements. I don't think the zinc and phos went to zero - they are just regulated low enough not to poison the DPF and SCR.

But I do know when the API CK-4 standard came out to restrict harmful emissions control elements, the first oils had less antiwear capability than the previous API CJ oils - according to Ford, who published about this and required oils that met their antiwear standard
https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/..._Motor_Oils_Meeting_Ford_WSSM2c171F1.pdf

Some of the OEM's reformulated their CK-4 oils and passed the Ford spec. They are on the list above. Shell Rotella was one such supplier. The history is out there - google it.

Originally Posted by BigRich954
The new oils that I don't have Molly zinc or phosphorus is there any downside Adding a Molly treatment to it.

Because they don't use zinc phosphorus remotely what additives do they use for high pressure protection?

How do you do a oil test to see how much of the additive is left or working

What does "high pressure protection" mean in regards to a motor oil?

HUGE waste of money at best. If you are using a CK4 I assume you have a medium or heavy duty truck. Don't put additives in your fuel or oil. Not needed. Waste of money. Potentially harmful. No company or municipality with a working fleet of trucks wastes money on boutique oils and dubious additives. Schaffer's oil is a HUGE waste of money. Buy the cheapest oil meeting spec and enjoy your truck for as long was you want to keep it. Enjoy the extra money too. I promise cheap bulk oil meeting spec with a jobber filter changed at OEM spec is more than adequate.

Good luck.

Your car will go faster, get better gas mileage and last longer.

However, this will be entirely due to the weight loss your wallet undergoes, thereby putting less load on your engine.

In other words, oil treatments, all of them, are a waste of money.

HUGE waste of money at best. If you are using a CK4 I assume you have a medium or heavy duty truck. Don't put additives in your fuel or oil. Not needed. Waste of money. Potentially harmful. No company or municipality with a working fleet of trucks wastes money on boutique oils and dubious additives. Schaffer's oil is a HUGE waste of money. Buy the cheapest oil meeting spec and enjoy your truck for as long was you want to keep it. Enjoy the extra money too. I promise cheap bulk oil meeting spec with a jobber filter changed at OEM spec is more than adequate.

Good luck.
So Schaeffer oil just sells to one or two guys? No big companies use their oils? I didn't know that.

So Schaeffer oil just sells to one or two guys? No big companies use their oils? I didn't know that.

Schaffers is a boutique oil sold at boutique prices. No matter what buying bulk won’t get you to a price point most large fleets would pay. Why spend money on something with absolutely no return to the company for money spent. It’s wasted profits. Now is there a small guy with a small fleet that’s obsessed with oils and spends the extra money on a boutique oil??? Probably somewhere. You won’t find companies and municipalities with fleets buying overpriced boutique oils.

I live and operate in the real world of business to make a profit. Diesel tow trucks are my livelihood and my full service auto shop. I maintain not only my fleet of vehicles, private customers with fleets but city and county fleets including police, ambulance and school busses. Not a single one of these vehicles has what you would consider a brand name fluid be it oil, trans, brakes, hydraulics or power steering.

For years my bulk oil was Mag1. Recently we changed to mostly Purus oils—cheaper and better deal. We use the cheapest jobber filters And parts meeting OEM spec. The kids in this county ride to school on these fluids and the police drive cars on these fluids. They vehicles idle, get abused, run hard and put away wet and go literally 100s of thousands of miles. In 24 years of business I haven’t had a single engine failure attributed to bulk, no name oils and filters. Not one.

schaffers is a COMPLETE waste of money. There isn’t anything or anyway to prove you actually benefit from high dollar fluids and filters. You won’t find police cars, busses ect ect running Fram Ultras And Mobile 1 filters. Mostly I use whatever jobber filter is cheapest to buy in bulk but more often than not it’s been Fram jobbers and somtimes orange cans...but I’ve used all brands. The manager at a local Autozone Just hooked me up with 150 STP10890 extended life’s for $2.50 each. That’s a good deal. Will be the first “premium” oil filter to ever go on my tow trucks.

Schaffers is a boutique oil sold at boutique prices. No matter what buying bulk won’t get you to a price point most large fleets would pay. Why spend money on something with absolutely no return to the company for money spent. It’s wasted profits. Now is there a small guy with a small fleet that’s obsessed with oils and spends the extra money on a boutique oil??? Probably somewhere. You won’t find companies and municipalities with fleets buying overpriced boutique oils.

I live and operate in the real world of business to make a profit. Diesel tow trucks are my livelihood and my full service auto shop. I maintain not only my fleet of vehicles, private customers with fleets but city and county fleets including police, ambulance and school busses. Not a single one of these vehicles has what you would consider a brand name fluid be it oil, trans, brakes, hydraulics or power steering.

For years my bulk oil was Mag1. Recently we changed to mostly Purus oils—cheaper and better deal. We use the cheapest jobber filters And parts meeting OEM spec. The kids in this county ride to school on these fluids and the police drive cars on these fluids. They vehicles idle, get abused, run hard and put away wet and go literally 100s of thousands of miles. In 24 years of business I haven’t had a single engine failure attributed to bulk, no name oils and filters. Not one.

schaffers is a COMPLETE waste of money. There isn’t anything or anyway to prove you actually benefit from high dollar fluids and filters. You won’t find police cars, busses ect ect running Fram Ultras And Mobile 1 filters. Mostly I use whatever jobber filter is cheapest to buy in bulk but more often than not it’s been Fram jobbers and somtimes orange cans...but I’ve used all brands. The manager at a local Autozone Just hooked me up with 150 STP10890 extended life’s for $2.50 each. That’s a good deal. Will be the first “premium” oil filter to ever go on my tow trucks.

You really should start your post with: "Although I've never tried Schaeffers, in my opinion..."

I find it odd you would call the country's oldest petroleum lubricant company , est. in 1839, "boutique" instead of "The Original"...

Back