Porsche Taycan - Road and Track

Originally Posted by Danno
The way I would take that article is:

Amazing 1st try for Porsche
Can't wait for Taycan 2.0

I read it as a failure vs a 9 year old car from a startup car company.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Danno
The way I would take that article is:

Amazing 1st try for Porsche
Can't wait for Taycan 2.0

I read it as a failure vs a 9 year old car from a startup car company.

Some see things as half full and some as half empty.

Originally Posted by Sveina
Wow now that article was a complete waste of time...

I would be interested in why you think this.
Thanks in advance.

Another interesting EV article, at least to me.
The gist is, Porsche missed the mark. Surprising.

R&T - Taycan

I only think Porsche missed the mark if you think the mark was to make a practical EV to compete with Tesla. It feels more like they built and EV halo car just to show off their tech. Eventually some of this tech will find it's way into a VW or an Audi to compete with Tesla.

Originally Posted by glock19

R&T - Taycan

I only think Porsche missed the mark if you think the mark was to make a practical EV to compete with Tesla. It feels more like they built and EV halo car just to show off their tech. Eventually some of this tech will find it's way into a VW or an Audi to compete with Tesla.

The Taycan is electric but not high tech. That's a key difference between them and Tesla.
And their electric drivetrain fell far short of early promise. The Taycan was supposed to have a 400+ mile range and ended up with well under 200.

Originally Posted by glock19

R&T - Taycan

The Taycan is electric but not high tech. That's a key difference between them and Tesla.
And their electric drivetrain fell far short of early promise. The Taycan was supposed to have a 400+ mile range and ended up with well under 200.

I think their powertrain is a lot more high tech than Tesla. I don't believe they built it for efficiency, it's built for performance. EVs tend to die out at higher speeds and Porsche attempted to solve that with a multi-speed transmission.

I understand that you like Tesla and I'm not trying to take anything away from them. I just don't think these cars are built for the same purpose.

This article highlights why I dont have an electric vehicle at this time. Even for $200k it sounds like a basket of snakes. Clunky transmission. Power limitations. Inefficient. I'm sure it feels like a blast to drive all out, but I'm waiting for it to become mainstream tech and have much better range. Still, understandable that we need the Taycans and Model S and X and Y and 3 and whatever elses out there before we can get what I want. It's a process, and good on Porsche and Tesla for trying.

Originally Posted by Ws6
This article highlights why I dont have an electric vehicle at this time. Even for $200k it sounds like a basket of snakes. Clunky transmission. Power limitations. Inefficient. I'm sure it feels like a blast to drive all out, but I'm waiting for it to become mainstream tech and have much better range. Still, understandable that we need the Taycans and Model S and X and Y and 3 and whatever elses out there before we can get what I want. It's a process, and good on Porsche and Tesla for trying.

The Porsche gets so much wrong, and I don't get it. You cannot find a more storied car company. Engineers that make world class cars and race cars.
Take the transmission? Why? EVs get their "right now" acceleration by the flat torque curve and the single speed transmission.
If the car has to shift, it loses right there if everything else is equal.
The Taycan is gorgeous; I posted a video of one a few weeks ago.
But how can they release a big dollar car that is 9 years after the Model S that simply falls short?
Boggles the mind.

Ws6, perhaps the Tesla Roadster will work for you? 0 to 60 in 1.8 seconds. 600 mile range. Priced like the Taycan.

Originally Posted by Ws6

The Porsche gets so much wrong, and I don't get it. You cannot find a more storied car company. Engineers that make world class cars and race cars.
Take the transmission? Why? EVs get their "right now" acceleration by the flat torque curve and the single speed transmission.
But how can they release a big dollar car that is 9 years after the Model S that simply falls short?
Boggles the mind.

Ws6, perhaps the Tesla Roadster will work for you? 0 to 60 in 1.8 seconds. 600 mile range. Priced like the Taycan.

1) I need an SUV.
2) My use of a PEV is to save money, if I wanted to spend Tesla Roadster money, which I cannot right now, there is no WAY I'd buy anything that didn't even HAVE an engine note, lol! I have solar panels. I'd love to drive for "free". The RAV4 Prime has my attention, but being as I just bought a CX5 last year, I will be waiting until I have at least 200K miles on it before I get rid of it, so 2024 is likely the earliest I would trade out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Boggles the mind.

Of course you don't. And you will not.
You think that companies need to develop Tesla. Porsche is first of all coming from different culture. Therefore their approach to the problems is completely different. Another thing is that Porsche is not in a rush to develop EV. Porsche is not going to abandon bread and butter for EV's, they have luxury of time to try different things.
If you want to understand what Porsche is doing, first start from the fact that Porsche is basically playing game here. They are attempting things, and EV while important, they have luxury of time. On other hand Tesla will need several more decades to catch up in built quality with Germans.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Of course you don't. And you will not.
You think that companies need to develop Tesla. Porsche is first of all coming from different culture. Therefore their approach to the problems is completely different. Another thing is that Porsche is not in a rush to develop EV. Porsche is not going to abandon bread and butter for EV's, they have luxury of time to try different things.
If you want to understand what Porsche is doing, first start from the fact that Porsche is basically playing game here. They are attempting things, and EV while important, they have luxury of time. On other hand Tesla will need several more decades to catch up in built quality with Germans.

I have been following the Porsche/Audi EV development for years.
The point is, they stated numerous goals and failed to achieve most of them.

The Taycan is gorgeous, no doubt. Fit and finish is stellar. One of their fastest cars in many aspects; that's saying something.
Did you read the article?

Last edited:

The point is, they stated numerous goals and failed to achieve most of them.

Correct. Despite its enormous cost and complexity.

The one it came closest to meeting was its performance goal, but given it has no advantage over the single gear ratio Raven from a dig, or low speed roll - thats a miss as well.

Every car the VW group has built on that platform has missed its range, charging time goal, and charge availability promises despite being 800 volt cars and having 9 years to catch Telsa.

For almost a decade we kept hearing " just wait" everyone else is going to catch up and blow tesla away and they will die.

Hasn't happened, doesnt look like it will either.

UD

Taycan the promise -

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/porsche-mission-e-taycan-first-drive-review/

"If you're having some fun on the track," von Platen told me, "waiting 6 hours to recharge would bother you. That's why we are working so hard on a technology that would charge the battery in 15 minutes."

Not a full charge, mind you, but Porsche says you'll be able to add 250 miles of effective range in a 15-minute charge using one of the company's 800-volt fast chargers, at least one of which will be available at each of the company's 189 US dealerships. While total US range hasn't been determined yet, Porsche is promising 500 kilometers in Europe. Our EPA testing system is a little more stringent, so expect somewhere around 300 miles when it hits these shores.

Taycan the reality (at least so far) beyond misses the claims as tested by Bjorn Nyland

Even at a scarce as hens teeth 800 Volt 350KW Ionity charger it struggles to get 250Km (239) in 15 minutes much less 250 miles in.

The theoretically inferior model 3 using a 400 volt, 250KW Tesla v2 supercharger flat out smokes the P car in terms of charging speed.

[Linked Image]

Every analyst speaks to the beauty and fit and finish of the Taycan.
Every analyst speaks to how Porsche missed their own mark.

The $190K Porsche Taycan EPA range is under 200 miles. The stated goal was over 400.
The cheapest Model 3 is well over 200.

Its an AWESOME car.

Just not the car it was supposed to be- at least yet.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Its an AWESOME car.

Just not the car it was supposed to be- at least yet.

UD

A drop dead gorgeous Porsche Taycan spotted while driving a Tesla Model 3...
This car was quiiiiick!

IMG_20200421_161252.jpg

Last edited:
Back