BMW and Prius owners are the least courteous?

It seems to be area dependent from my experience. Around here the worst parkers are giant luxury SUVs and pickup trucks. Their owners don't have the ability to park in between the lines, and don't really care. Most of the prius owners are older folks going slow. Get close to any college campus and those two things change though.

Jalopnik article from 2013 that confirms what people have know for decades?

Heck, I'm guessing that rich people in horse & buggy rides were no better.

Just yesterday there was a silver Prius fast lane squatting. Everyone had to pass the guy on the right. He had a logjam of traffic behind him. Some of their drivers have serious issues.

Couple things:
The article is from 2013
Since when is a Prius a luxury (article said luxury brands drivers are more likely to flaunt the laws)
Also they mention the rich people smuggness. Yet the "Millionaire next door" books tell a different story ... And I think Dave Ramsey's team just did a fresh new millionaire study.

Also depends on the area. in Chicago, I had been cut off by trucks, box trucks, semis, VW, BMW, civic hybrid, taurus, taxis, airport uber's (seems to be the traffic way at ORD), bikes, bicyclists ....
I GA you will be lucky to pass around the slow-pokes that do 35 in a 55...or be in the way of the 90 in a 55...

When I drive my 530i, I'm a [censored].

When I drive my Charger, I'm Joe Dirt.
smile.gif

IIRC a 2019 or 2018 study came out of some country in Scandinavia which said something similar among all luxury drivers.

In my area:

Aggressive drivers are by a wide margin Sentra owners.

Fast drivers: Seems like a toss up between luxury, muscle car, and pick ups. I don't mind fast drivers as long as they give me time to move over but many times they don't. I don't blame them because people in my area will typically sit in the left lane.

There are plenty of passive-aggressive drivers in my area as well as those who have a complete lack of situational awareness.

Last edited:
We have few BMW's or Prii in my area, since March though we seem to have gray hair folks going 5km/h under the limit and a few guys in pickups who feel 20km/h over isn't fast enough. Overall though I think drivers are being a bit more courteous.

Originally Posted by JEL01
Brodozer trucks are up there

They always want to compete in the Stoplight Grand Prix when I'm driving my 2 Series- and my Mazdaspeed 3 before that. I let them pull about one car length ahead then I nail the throttle and leave them for dead.
Seeing them flip me off in my rear view mirror is the icing on the cake.

I got coal rolled by a Ford diesel last week. I think we need to pass a law, if you over fuel your diesel it is only legal if the exhaust exits inside the cab first.

Rod

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Prius no longer, it is now the Tesla owners vs the BMW owners who are the [censored] on the opposite spectrum.

Can't forget the Audi drivers too!

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by JEL01
Brodozer trucks are up there

They always want to compete in the Stoplight Grand Prix when I'm driving my 2 Series- and my Mazdaspeed 3 before that. I let them pull about one car length ahead then I nail the throttle and leave them for dead.
Seeing them flip me off in my rear view mirror is the icing on the cake.

Nope, the only way to win is to not play the game.

You're encouraging the behavior and don't get it. Winning in a car is nothing unusual, now haul a load with it or go off-road.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
It seems to be area dependent from my experience. Around here the worst parkers are giant luxury SUVs and pickup trucks. Their owners don't have the ability to park in between the lines, and don't really care. Most of the prius owners are older folks going slow. Get close to any college campus and those two things change though.

While I tend to agree with you that many of the Men?? and Women driving these big beasts are not very good at parking them I also know (I have and F150) that at least in my area of NY parking spaces are often a little small and do not offer a reasonable space for a vehicle.

Back