MMO in a can

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Anyone use this junk on a modern car?

My 20 year old Honda CR-V likes it. Definitely smoothed out idle vibrations after running a can through the oil crankcase, and running 4oz MMO per 10 gallons of gas every tank. Unfortunately no MPG gain yet, while some of my other cars did gain some. Newest car I used it in is 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan, 2.0TSI and 4Motion. Same idle vibration improvement noticed, by a driver that is clueless about cars, so that's saying something I guess. No MPG gain either, but according to its female driver: "It feels smoother when I floor it and no vibration at stop lights anymore." And floor it she does... Maybe that's why the valves are not gummed up yet at over 150k miles and direct injection. Good old italian tune-up.

What is the shelf life? Neighbor has a sealed 1 gallon container (metal can) said I could have it
Don't know how old it is

Originally Posted by VQLT
What is the shelf life? Neighbor has a sealed 1 gallon container (metal can) said I could have it
Don't know how old it is

See if it still has its minty freshness if shaken. Doubt if it would go bad.

I use it in fuel for my Riding mower and tossed some in my trail Jeep that only gets started for a Jeep run or to pull wood.
Never used it in a crankcase. After reading the VOA on it, I don't think I will.

It does smell good though, like Christmas in a can.

Sometimes, it's a mild but effective fuel injector cleaner/detergent. Why is it "junk"? Unneeded in most applications? Perhaps. but at the very worst it's a detergent additive to gas. Never used it in motor oil...

Don't know how old it is

I'd save it, it's probably worth some money as an antique/mancave display...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

Sometimes, it's a mild but effective fuel injector cleaner/detergent. Why is it "junk"? Unneeded in most applications? Perhaps. but at the very worst it's a detergent additive to gas. Never used it in motor oil...

Chlorinated additives that are bearing eaters.

Gas has proper detergents, so no need there.

Cant put it in oil.

But It used to have a Cool retro grandfathers garage look and feel.

plus it;s a Mystery. If you believe it works then it works.

Then Mantra of Snake oil.

Disclaimer: I had never compared it to the shops kerosene rinse tank for a piston soak.

So I cant speak to it for cleaning. ability in a mild rebuild scenario That's all I would consider it for.

soaking/ cleaning disassembled parts.

Some goes for seafoam junk. That I would use for nothing!

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Oh IDK, 20 yrs ago?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

Chlorinated additives that are bearing eaters...

Cant put it in oil.

Well, not using it in oil so it doesn't matter to me. I think the only time I would ever use it is if I had a lot sludge in an engine of something I bought. But there are better alternatives that don't thin..

Gas has proper detergents, so no need there.

Top Tier, agreed. Some off brands, not so much...

But It used to have a Cool retro grandfathers garage look and feel.

plus it;s a Mystery. If you believe it works then it works.

Then Mantra of Snake oil.

Disclaimer: I had never compared it to the shops kerosene rinse tank for a piston soak.

So I cant speak to it for cleaning. ability in a mild rebuild scenario That's all I would consider it for.

soaking/ cleaning disassembled parts.

Except tribologists here have stated that it is possible it can service as a weak fuel detergent. Worth the cost? IDK, but it's $3.88 a 32oz bottle that lasts months. I agree there are much better choices with PEA, but I mainly have used it after using a dedicated FI cleaner to possibly aid in cleaning. I think the Farm guy, whom I don't put a lot stock in, did show that it dissolved carbon in lawnmower carburetors. Not exactly NASA testing, but I've had some success with using it in yard equipment...

Some goes for seafoam junk. That I would use for nothing!

What? Doesn't it have PEA? I used it way back when to clean Honda carburetors and it worked well...

Originally Posted by csandste
Don't know how old it is

See if it still has its minty freshness if shaken. Doubt if it would go bad.

Glad I'm not the only one that smells wintergreen. I've thought about swapping out my listerine.....

I used MMO to winterize the 20w50 in the 528e. In the gas it will sometimes quiet a noisy fuel pump. In fuel it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to a well used engine when used at recommended dosage.I love the smell and there isn't a well used OPE engine made that doesn't thrive from a capful in every tank up. Can I prove that it DOES anything? No, but disproving its effectiveness would cost you a heck of a lot more than 5 bucks a qt.
grin2.gif

In the gas of all three cars: 63 Valiant, 86 Olds Calais 4 and 05 Saturn ION.

I figure it makes a nice antidote to the 10% ethanol and does no harm anyway.

The Valiant even has one of these Ampco OIler units.

MMO even sold it's own MMO branded unit.

More here:

http://www.ampcolubes.com/

Ampco Oiler In Mothra.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
I used MMO to winterize the 20w50 in the 528e. In the gas it will sometimes quiet a noisy fuel pump. In fuel it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to a well used engine when used at recommended dosage.I love the smell and there isn't a well used OPE engine made that doesn't thrive from a capful in every tank up. Can I prove that it DOES anything? No, but disproving its effectiveness would cost you a heck of a lot more than 5 bucks a qt.
grin2.gif

And amen, Andy.

My sentiments exactly.

Back