Ram 3.6l Radiator Fan Temp

Does anyone know of a kit I could buy to control (change) the temp that the radiator fan starts at? I just cant get over the occasional 230 degree reading. The fan doesnt start till about 226 degrees. They say its normal, but...... I tried Royal Purple Ice, but no change.

Thanks

Last edited:
What is your concern or problem with the way it is operating? I don't understand.

And no, a (useless) coolant additive isn't going to change the setpoint for turning on the fan.

Normal operating temp is about 190F or about 87F this is only 20 degrees c hotter. It helps bake out any accumulated water and fuel from the oil. Constant that hot would be a concern, but idle and light loads for part of the cycle is actually beneficial.

Rod

In other words, it is normal. I'm old school and still feel like anything over 210 is overheating. Guess I'll quit worrying about. Yes, is only ever gets to 230 if I am sitting in traffic or running 5 mph. Most of the time it runs 215 to 225.

This a LONG shot but do you use premixed coolant or do you mix your own?

I have read that if you get a higher concentration of coolant vs water, that you would decrease cooling capacity as it is the water that actually does the cooling.

I would guess yours is already premixed. If you are mixing your own, make sure it is 50/50 coolant/water.

Originally Posted by Gebo
This a LONG shot but do you use premixed coolant or do you mix your own?

I have read that if you get a higher concentration of coolant vs water, that you would decrease cooling capacity as it is the water that actually does the cooling.

I would guess yours is already premixed. If you are mixing your own, make sure it is 50/50 coolant/water.

Like the water wetter additive, coolant concentration is not going to change the setpoint for fan activation. It's not about heat capacity or transfer it's about temperature.

There was another similar thread around on this topic so forgive me if it's been talked about..

What ambient temps and driving conditions are you seeing that 230F dash reading? Is your engine oil temp running similar temps at that time?

I wouldn't suspect the active grille shutters as they'll throw a code if they're not in the proper position.

I've seen maybe ~217F coolant and engine oil temps on my 2017 Ram 1500 pentastar, sitting at a stop light with the a/c cranking after a ~35 mile run on a 90deg day, but they're normally around the 185-205 range winter-summer. They do vary widely between winter and summer.

Last edited:
Here is a stock fan speed control chart the computer uses to adjust fan speed on a 2015 F150. The fans go from low to high speed at 220F and to max speed at 226F. What you are seeing in your RAM is completely normal for a modern engine.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oilchangeguy
Does anyone know of a kit I could buy to control (change) the temp that the radiator fan starts at? I just cant get over the occasional 230 degree reading. The fan doesnt start till about 226 degrees. They say its normal, but...... I tried Royal Purple Ice, but no change.

Thanks

An override switch to trigger fan on and open shutters would be ideal.
I used the heat fan to trigger the engine fan to come on at stand still dropped temps 10 or 15 degrees rather quickly...
I recently removed 4 grill shutters from each side. Jury still out on it... but I can say warm up times are longer so shutters will go back in for next winter.
2019 Ram 1500 CLASSIC 3.6

Last edited:
big_guy, I took one out of each side, right on top of the center divide cross bar. Works perfect. Engine still warms up the same, but now I don't see those 218° to 222° driving 75 MPH on the interstate pulling nothing temps. 2018 reg cab 2wd/8 speed auto.
Engine stays 190°-195° now with the oil temp 195°- 200°.

Last edited:
The coolant in my Ram 1500 3.6 runs the same 215-225* Occasional 230* but then drops down to 220*or so. Towing up grades oil can get to 240-243* @ 70* ambient, 5k towed weight, then drops back down.

Took photos of dash, different speeds, oil/coolant temps , ambient temps, etc. Dealer found no problem...

I feel the same- like it is too hot, but it isn't.

Took the fuse out of the grill shutter as an experiment.
Ran much cooler. Less than 200* Eventually threw a code after 4 start cycles.

Originally Posted by oldhp
big_guy, I took one out of each side, right on top of the center divide cross bar. Works perfect. Engine still warms up the same, but now I don't see those 218° to 222° driving 75 MPH on the interstate pulling nothing temps. 2018 reg cab 2wd/8 speed auto.
Engine stays 190°-195° now with the oil temp 195°- 200°.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a great option. I will probably wait till fall now to add some shutters back in but we'll see.

You could get something like this adjustable controller. If you wire it to the stock relay you'll get a code, but you could also get a "pusher" fan and run that.

The extra-high temp (and delay engaging the fan in traffic) is partially motivated by the EPA cycle where they drive 35 mph for two minutes, then idle for two minutes, then drive, etc. Think small-scale "dieselgate."

Without a custom tune, this or a manual switch would be about the only way to do it.

Back