Fuel consumption.....

Colleagues... if anyone has taken any kind of data,
I wish to compare notes in regards to how much fuel you burn for 20-30 mins of run time..
Specs.... bought second hand - 2015 Husq YTH24K48 - with a Kholer 7000 series K735 twin... as of today, it has a total of 60 hours on the meter.

The carb on this unit already has issues.. i suspect float / needle problems, as i have serious gas in the crankcase issues. ive done 3 OCI just to try and clear the crankcase.
I have installed a extra fuel valve before the fuel pump as a band-air solution for the time being. I am unable to find aftermarket carbs for this engine ..yet. and again after today the oil smells like fuel. The engine starts just fine and runs just dandy...... no smoke.. etc

I plan to do just a simple carb swap and fix the gas flowing to crankcase issue, as soon as I can find one......

now.. this aside... i used the tractor today for say.... 20 mins in total .. did 4 trips to back of the property to dispose of spring lawn raking. - blades were not engaged at anytime..

I burned 2 full liters [ or half a gallon if you like..] ... of fuel..!!!! im running 91 octane - E0 gas.
to me that seems excessive...!?!?!??!?!?

any input appreciated
Cheers
J

From what I've experienced with OHV V-twins is they burn about a gallon of fuel per hour under light use. More under moderate/heavy usage.

Your usage does seem excessive. I'd see if it repeats.

My B&S 20HP twin uses approximately one gallon during a 45 minute mowing at full throttle. I would suspect a stuck or sticking carburetor float. Buy a new carb on line. Ed

Do you have a shut off valve? My very used rider wouldn't stop the carb from overfilling and running quite rich, but I just crack open the shut off valve and it seems to meter closer to the right amount of gas. The odd time I'll be in heavy heavy grass and it will let the mower run lean but that doesn't seem to matter much.

Originally Posted by JTK
From what I've experienced with OHV V-twins is they burn about a gallon of fuel per hour under light use. More under moderate/heavy usage.

Your usage does seem excessive. I'd see if it repeats.

hmmm ok or half a gallon on 30 mins...for -light use-... ok im a little above that... thx

Originally Posted by Eddie
My B&S 20HP twin uses approximately one gallon during a 45 minute mowing at full throttle. I would suspect a stuck or sticking carburetor float. Buy a new carb on line. Ed

right ..or half a gallon for 20-25 minutes... that puts me on par with you...

yes.. thats my plan... but the dealer sells OEM carbs for $250+.... nope not going there... need an amazon solution.. LOL

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Do you have a shut off valve? My very used rider wouldn't stop the carb from overfilling and running quite rich, but I just crack open the shut off valve and it seems to meter closer to the right amount of gas. The odd time I'll be in heavy heavy grass and it will let the mower run lean but that doesn't seem to matter much.

yes.. shut off valve installed... thx
i dont have a rich mixture issue i dont believe...... the engine runs fine... will monitor the performance.. thx

My 22 HP 724 cc Briggs V-Twin burns about a gallon an hour with the blades engaged in moderately heavy grass. This year we are off to a cool start, mowing perhaps the top inch at a time, and fuel consumption is lower. Both your time and fuel consumption will be lowered by mowing more often. That may seem counter-intuitive, but try it and see.

See if there is a rebuild kit available for that carb. It probably only needs a good cleaning and new needle/seat.

My 30hp Kawi burns about 1.6 gallons per hour mowing with a 72" deck.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
My 22 HP 724 cc Briggs V-Twin burns about a gallon an hour with the blades engaged in moderately heavy grass. This year we are off to a cool start, mowing perhaps the top inch at a time, and fuel consumption is lower. Both your time and fuel consumption will be lowered by mowing more often. That may seem counter-intuitive, but try it and see.

yes.. i can see your logic here... I may not be able to put this to the test if we get another hot.dry summer..
thx

Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
See if there is a rebuild kit available for that carb. It probably only needs a good cleaning and new needle/seat.

My 30hp Kawi burns about 1.6 gallons per hour mowing with a 72" deck.

Indeed.. it maybe something simple, but i havent found any carbs or repair kits..

and I forgot to mention at the beginning .. its 24hp on a 48" deck

Back