Mobil 1 AFE 0W16 API SP

Mobil 1 0W16

So I believe Mobil 1 0W16 is now API SL? Looks like they changed the formula by adding additional things to it.

Buster had mention Mobil will now include Noack specs IIRC, but it does not seem like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was 0w16 even listed in the SL standards?
crazy2.gif

but it does still show SN+, SN-RC, SP-RC, GF-6B, so there is no problem
smile.gif

I might buy a quart of 0w16 just to see and feel it. Guess I could fill my squirt cans …
be great on hinges and bushings.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I might buy a quart of 0w16 just to see and feel it. Guess I could fill my squirt cans …
be great on hinges and bushings.

If your vehicle does not spec for 0W16, there is no benefit in using it. Currently, some Toyotas and Hondas are spec'd for 0W16.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Was 0w16 even listed in the SL standards?
crazy2.gif

but it does still show SN+, SN-RC, SP-RC, GF-6B, so there is no problem
smile.gif

API SP just came about. I have been following and looks like it just got updated to SP.

Oh I will not be putting it in an engine … just curious enough to want to see and touch … and then just use for misc lube.
I actually like to use motor oil for misc lube over aerosols …

Originally Posted by painfx
API SL just came about. I have been following and looks like it just got updated to SL.

All SM, SN, SN PLUS, and SP oils are automatically SL. That's because API specs are backward compatible.

However, the important thing is that it has not been updated to SP yet.

Mobil 1 0W16

So I believe Mobil 1 0W16 is now API SP? Looks like they changed the formula by adding additional things to it.

Buster had mention Mobil will now include Noack specs IIRC, but it does not seem like it.

Edit: Please changed title to API "SP"

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Where do you see that? I don't see SP anywhere.

In this link

It is API SP certified and ILSAC GF-6B.

The formula they added additional additives/what not to it. Before the SDS would show up to 80% PAO & up to 20% GTL. Now they had 2 more additional components to the brew. You can check the SDS for more information.

In this link

The formula they added additional additives/what not to it. Before the SDS would show up to 80% PAO & up to 20% GTL. Now they had 2 more additional components to the brew. You can check the SDS for more information.

OK, I see it now—they put the SP at the bottom.

Neither KV100 nor the density has changed within the given precision. The only way to know if there is a formulation change is to compare the four-digit revision numbers on the back labels of the bottles.

Those two additional components in the MSDS are nothing but the good old ZDDP. They are actually giving the exact types of the ZDDP (alcohols used in the making—pentanol, isopropanol, etc.), which is nice.

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Where do you see that? I don't see SP anywhere.

In this link

On API's database for licenses, the 0w-16 is does not have a license that is SP approved. Still SN-Plus.

But Mobil does have a bunch of products that has the SP license from API.

Back