Ford 9.75 Rear Diff Cover with Drain plug recommendation

Nice cover.

I would use RTV, no gasket.

If you google the ford towing guide it should tell you what the axle code means (on the VIN sticker). Generally number and a letter is lsd, 2 numbers open, not always...:

Found the following watching youtube videos of guys installing Ford Performance Diffy Cover for the 9.75

1. Capacity = 3.5 qts
2. Torque = 14 lb/ft
3. Gasket = use dry as provided, hmm, mine is pretty beat up (see pic), Ford makes a metal gasket with a built in Oring, but it is $45,

Q= stock bolts have the studs for the cables, will the stock bolts work with the thicker performance cover?

If you have a drain plug and don't foresee opening it back up for a rebuild any time soon I'd RTV it. Just seems to work. I've never had a problem with the metal core gaskets back when they were made and easily available from Fel-pro (IIRC) but why risk it? That said, there is at least one company which still makes a top of the line metal core gasket.

Originally Posted by stockrex
just RTV? or use the gasket that came with it and smear light coat of gasket material?

Is your gasket a metal core type with a rubber looking coating on it ?

When I changed my diff cover and my son's F150
I used a Fel-pro paper gasket and very little RTV for gear oil

Neither have leaked a drop

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Ford actually uses a gasket on these from the factory, the part number is HL3Z-4036-A.

That you sir !!

Your behind the scenes with more info than any of us have .
Who makes the gasket for Ford ? Any idea ?
Thanks for your help !

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
That you sir !!

Your behind the scenes with more info than any of us have .
Who makes the gasket for Ford ? Any idea ?
Thanks for your help !

No idea, but most likely Dana/Spicer. I don't think I have ordered any that I can remember but they always come in a blue Ford package.

bd, ks,

Gentlemen thanks a bunch, ordered the ford gasket. My local parts counter quoted 45$ I found it online from a NJ parts seller for $30 (incl shipping).

Originally Posted by stockrex
bd, ks,

Gentlemen thanks a bunch, ordered the ford gasket. My local parts counter quoted 45$ I found it online from a NJ parts seller for $30 (incl shipping).

Good luck with your project !ðŸ‘

Back