Boil Shrimp

Local shrimp are starting to be plentiful where I live

Anybody here like to boil shrimp at home ????

Unfortunately, I only have access to frozen ones. These days due to the grocery shortage, I can't even get raw shrimp. If I do boil them, I only do it for a short period of time to get them just cooked. I hate overcooked seafood.

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
Unfortunately, I only have access to frozen ones. These days due to the grocery shortage, I can't even get raw shrimp. If I do boil them, I only do it for a short period of time to get them just cooked. I hate overcooked seafood.

That's the trick; boil them just long enough for them to turn color. The shells peel off easier too. Another trick to save a little money is to sprinkle the Old Bay onto the shrimp right after you boil them (in the colander after you drain them). I don't boil them in Old Bay anymore because it uses too much seasoning and you can't tell the difference.

When I lived in Corpus Christi I was instructed by a local chef to bring the water (with seasoning) to a boil. Toss in the shrimp, turn off the heat, cover and let sit for about three minutes. Then, put it over ice. It's almost foolproof.

When I used to work my son and I ate them almost every Sunday. I use SWAMP FIRE seasoning and ZATARAIN'S bag seasoning. Sometimes I add a few caps of liquid crab boil with the other seasons. OLD BAY seasoning is for Yankees.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by Paul_Siu

That's the trick; boil them just long enough for them to turn color. The shells peel off easier too. Another trick to save a little money is to sprinkle the Old Bay onto the shrimp right after you boil them (in the colander after you drain them). I don't boil them in Old Bay anymore because it uses too much seasoning and you can't tell the difference.

Here in Louisiana, if you served a CoonAss shrimp, or ANY seafood, sprinkled with seasoning instead of boiling them in seasoning, they would put you in their Pirogue and take you on a one way swamp tour.

Back