Optilube Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use oil that is API certified and it meets the OEM application recommendations then you just don't need this stuff.

Several OEM's specifically recommend against these types of additive products.

It has always puzzled me to think as to why people use these sorts of products.

Especially when there is clearly no direct causation or correlation to improved performance and clear examples of this type of stuff damaging engines.

To be clear, I'm not singling out OptiLube. I'm speaking to any additive engine treatment that is not recommended by the OEM.

Duralube, ZMax, Slick 50, OptiLube........ We could go on and on.......

Originally Posted by Imp4
If you use oil that is API certified and it meets the OEM application recommendations then you just don't need this stuff.

Several OEM's specifically recommend against these types of additive products.

It has always puzzled me to think as to why people use these sorts of products.

Especially when there is clearly no direct causation or correlation to improved performance and clear examples of this type of stuff damaging engines.

To be clear, I'm not singling out OptiLube. I'm speaking to any additive engine treatment that is not recommended by the OEM.

Duralube, ZMax, Slick 50, OptiLube........ We could go on and on.......

And you're one of those that honestly think that a $20 jug of oil from any of the main oil companies is going to contain the absolute best additives and ingredients that will ensure the reliability and longevity of our engines... Yea ok, we all know they only have the consumers best interest in mind!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
And you're one of those that honestly think that a $20 jug of oil from any of the main oil companies is going to contain the absolute best additives and ingredients that will ensure the reliability and longevity of our engines... Yea ok, we all know they only have the consumers best interest in mind!

But on the contrary, neither do I think that these goofy little additive companies have some secret formula that somehow guarantees improved performance when added to an existing fill.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by racin4ds

But on the contrary, neither do I think that these goofy little additive companies have some secret formula that somehow guarantees improved performance when added to an existing fill.

many do not, but there are a handful of companies that do work and work well with many proven and anecdotal results. I personally like LiquiMoly M0s2 and Ceratec, I also really like Lubeguard products and have seen them work in front of my own eyes. Sadly, companies over the years like Duralube and Lucas have ruined the additives market making many think they are snake oils.

Ok, thanks for the posts, but can we not attack each other's opinions or source data, please? There's enough hostility going on these days, let's have some fun in here with expert engine people.

I'm no oil cult worshiper - I'm a trained scientist. Diesel Fuels do not appear to be regulated to the degree gasoline is. There is no "Top Tier" fuel definition for diesel fuel as there is for gasoline. I worked for Cummins - we tested the local available diesel fuels for our test cell work - some were under 40 cetane. Some were over EPA sulfur limits. The corporate parent had access to 45 cetane fuel and used it for their test work. We complained this was not representative of the national fuel supply but couldn't get them to back down to 40.

Some older engines benefit from higher cetane, at least, and some from additional cleaning agents. In addition, our regional fuel supply mandates soy-based biodiesel (big farm lobby). For those that don't consume fuel regularly, a biocide at least is needed. Here we are forced by state law to use B20 biodiesel in summer and B10 biodiesel in winter. You know the gel point of B10, right? The weather gets to -20F here in the winter.

I have a Yanmar tractor engine the "requires" 50 cetane minimum fuel. Why? Well, it's old-time IDI pump-line-nozzle fuel injection, naturally-aspirated. It's in a John Deere 1000 series compact tractor. There's thousands of these things in the US, and in boats, etc. The Japanese and Europe have easy access to 50 cetane diesel fuel. I do not.

Fuel quality is legit issue for many of us - please don't respond with whether you "believe" in additives or not. I asked for your experiences.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Ok, thanks for the posts, but can we not attack each other's opinions or source data, please? There's enough hostility going on these days, let's have some fun in here with expert engine people.

What source data are you referring to that's being attacked?

Originally Posted by kschachn

What source data are you referring to that's being attacked?

"ou're one of those that honestly think that a $20 jug of oil from any of the main oil companies is going to contain the absolute best additives and ingredients that will ensure the reliability and longevity of our engines... Yea ok, we all know they only have the consumers best interest in mind!"

Pure speculation & ridicule - no experience-based facts, no data, just hostility.
I asked if there were any Optilube users and whether HPCR negated their market. Not if another member believes in it.

I've used it for years in a series of diesel pickups ranging from the 7.3 NA to multiple 7.3 Powerstokes, an LBZ Duramqx and now a 6.7 Cummins. Don't know if it makes a real difference, but I've never had a fuel pump or injector failure
grin.gif
I have used it based on the results of the study below:

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

I'm no oil cult worshiper - I'm a trained scientist.

I meant to ask you this earlier, what are your degrees?

BSME Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Minor in metallurgy, Mobil Oil Lubrication Engineering Graduate

I'm no oil cult worshiper - I'm a trained scientist
BSME Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Minor in metallurgy, Mobil Oil Lubrication Engineering Graduate

So you had the title of scientist with a bachelor's degree? I've worked in corporate research departments, none use that title without at least a master's. I had the title of Research Technologist with my bachelor's in engineering.

How many products did you design from scratch and field? Hundreds here. Get off your high horse, bub.

Let's tone down the attitude guys.
Please don't make me take action here.

Credentials are important, but not necessary to have an opinion. The validity and weight of opinions may be swayed for some by the experiences and education one holds. Take it for what it is and move on.

As for the topic of additives it is my humble opinion that some have merit and some do not. I have personally had some great experiences and results from various products, and others not so much (if at all). Since I've not used Optilube, I'll not comment past this level. It's just important to know that not all persons will experience the same results because while one input may be constant (the product), often the conditions the product is placed into will be different, and therefore the results from one experience to the next may not be directly comparable. Some contrast is inevitable.

Last edited:
How many products did you design from scratch and field? Hundreds here. Get off your high horse, bub.

There was no high horse comment intended at all. You posted that you were a "trained scientist" so I was asking about that statement in light of my career experience.

I use Optilube in my Duramax as a diesel fuel lubricity enhancer. Many stories out there of high pressure common rail pumps going bad and costing the owner big $$ to replace the entire fuel system. The Denso pump in my 2018 has a good reputation, but added lubricity can only help. Take a look at their independent lab test results.

Wayne, it is my understanding the 1994 lubricity crises from EPA-mandated sulfur reduction in diesel fuel has long been addressed by diesel fuel suppliers using new, supplemental lubricity additives at the blending terminal. I read about this long ago.

Further, the diesel injection systems most sensitive to lack of lubricity are the legacy pump-line-nozzle configurations, with the rotary single cam being the most sensitive. Those engines have all since been replaced by EPA-emissions engines with HPCR, which aren't sensitive to lubricity. In addition, many governments now mandate soy-based biodiesel blends. The famous Spicer Test Report showed biodiesel was #1 in lubricity. Here in Minnesota, B10-B20 is mandated by state law (winter-summer).

I have a little Yanmar tractor engine that still is sensitive, and the boy has a Navistar HEUI that can be sensitive. But the bulk of the market (on highway) no longer cares.

I am more interested in the additve for fuel system cleanliness and cetane boost. Our diesel cetane here is crappy. The additive makes my little Yanmar run quieter and uses less fuel. That tells me I am getting more complete combustion, and hence, cleanliness. The Navistar also runs quieter, but haven't checked the mileage yet.

Even more important is stabilizing the biodiesel fuel. The life is pretty short without a biocide or stabilizer. The soybean oil slimes and goes rancid. If you're not burning a full tank of fuel every week, I'd be concerned. We had this issue at work. And the gel point of biodiesel is higher than straight No. 2 also, requiring use of anti-gel and fuel line heater in winter.

I've tried a few diesel fuel additives from different manufacturers, (2) of the popular brands did little or nothing and (1) which you've probably never heard of I now use religiously because it has a dramatic effects on combustion efficiency and oil cleanliness by soot %.

Additive response is based on fuel quality. Poor quality fuels have a great response to an effective additive, while a high quality fuel would have a muted effect with the same dosage.

Stay away from any additive that doesn't give you any concrete claims of it's effectiveness. Anything that claims to be a "secret" or uses terms like "up to x improvement" is to be avoided. Also read the fine print as some of these companies actually require a 2x advertised dosage to meet their product claims.

Finally, avoid an all-in-one or winter blends unless you absolutely need anti-gel protection. Winter blend addys have naphtha and other light solvents which dilute the "good" stuff and can cause thinning of the engine oil. Always use gloves when handling these additives as many contain toxic and/or carcinogenic compounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back