Chevy Volt, change now or later?

Currently at 67% OLM, last changed in October. Color is dark (i know i know).

However I have a family issue to take care of 700 miles away, so roadtrip tomorrow. Planning 1600 miles total roadtrip. Should I change it now or later? Its a tradition of mine to change it just before a roadtrip, however I may break it this time.

Also the engine is scarcely run. Fires up maybe 3 times a month. Typically burns a tank per month. In other words it may have moisture.

A long highway cruise will be good for the gasoline engine and will be good for the oil.

Last edited:
After. They are easy on oil as they never truly idle. The lowest they run at is over 1000 rpm so the oil in those things get hot and don't have many of the issues appreciated with idling.

Leave it. I run my Volt to the full OLM change, and the oil looks perfect. In fact, I've only changed it once in 16k miles, and I used an original ACD filter and Amsoil OE 5w30. That combo will be in there until the next OC, whenever that is. I use about as much fuel as you, a tank a month depending on how many cabin trips I take.

Side note: how do you like your Volt? I absolutely love mine, honestly one of the best cars I've ever had.

Last edited:
I never change before a trip. If something goes south then you are on the road. Drive your trip and change after you rest. Have seen some with minds on trip and forget something (stuck oil filter gasket) only to realize on the road.

The combustion engine on a Volt is the last thing to worry about. i think they could make it through an entire lifespan with only a few oil changes.

I'd say there is already "nanny" percentage loss in the OLM for short trips, time, etc … the OLM will enjoy a road trip too!
(with that same oil).

Dark oil that appears shiny and thin … well, just dark oil from ICE …
Dark, dull, thick … that's different …

I would hold off - the OLM algorithm GM uses is supposed to be very good and if your Volt's manual reads like my Cobalt's, the recommendation to change oil is when the OLM indicates the need or 1 year, whichever occurs first.

I would check the oil during the trip to top off if any disappears due to moisture burning off.

Unless you are really itching to change the oil I would leave it till after the trip. OLM says you are good.

If it were my vehicle Id run the oil for this trip and change it after.

The OLM has a buffer built into it anyway ( Hondas is about 20%)

UD

Originally Posted by 79sunrunner
Currently at 67% OLM, last changed in October. Color is dark (i know i know).

However I have a family issue to take care of 700 miles away, so roadtrip tomorrow. Planning 1600 miles total roadtrip. Should I change it now or later? Its a tradition of mine to change it just before a roadtrip, however I may break it this time.

Also the engine is scarcely run. Fires up maybe 3 times a month. Typically burns a tank per month. In other words it may have moisture.

Do you have a 2013 or newer Volt?
The 2012/11 do not account for age.

If it were my Volt I wouldn't worry about it because you don't use the engine much.

My 2013 Volt (normally but not recently) gets lots of gas miles so I do change the oil when the OLM is around 50% or lower especially before a long trip but also I use cheaper filters so I figure changing the oil ever 5000 gas miles (10-12000 body miles) is cheap insurance.

Lately since I don't use any gas whatsoever I will be letting the olm pretty much run out, I figure Mobil AP sitting in my sump unused isn't wearing anything

Last edited:
Back