Oil changed,,, wrong oil installed?

Went to Mobile and got it changed there,,, last week.. in a 2019 VW Beetle convertible. The manual says to use 508 oil,, asked them about this,, they ''did not know''. However,, I did let them change it,, they said,, ''we use the same oil as a Jetta'' and a few more--- it doesn't look green at all-- neither did what came in when new. In the meantime, I have bought 6 quarts of VW 508/509 oil, plus an extractor, so I CAN swap it out-- if needed. I really don't know whether to or not,, what do y'all think? I really wonder about NOT using the 508 oil, what might happen to the motor? Will the motor blow up? Got any thoughts on this?

For warranty purposes you definitely want the 508 oil in there. There is a tracer in the oil (there may be a metal compound used as well as a dye) so the oil can be checked if there are ever any engine problems. Was this a VW dealer that changed the oil? If so, run far away from them. If it is just an oil change place, find someone else. They are incompetent. I drive two VWs, one being a 2019 Passat. I let the dealer service it as they are close by, competent and thorough. I am also too old to do it myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by widetrax
The manual says to use 508 oil....

What is the exact wording in the manual ? Does it require this 508 spec oil or recommend it ?

Mobil 1 recommends "ESP X2 0W-20" for your car and it meets VW 508.

Not sure why you didn't walk away when they said they didn't know..... if it's really that much of a concern.

M1 oils will lubricate your engine very well for hundreds of thousands of miles. However the warranty may be a problem is an internal engine problem showed up. Frankly, if it were me I would leave the M1 in.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The manual says to use 508 oil....

What is the exact wording in the manual ? Does it require this 508 spec oil or recommend it ?

Mobil 1 recommends "ESP X2 0W-20" for your car and it meets VW 508.

Not sure why you didn't walk away when they said they didn't know..... if it's really that much of a concern.

Requires, says that non 508 can only be used for upto half a quart of make up oil.
Manual
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
We have been over this ad nauseam...

If you went to a Mobil (the oil company) oil change facility and they did not know to use 508 you should call corporate because that facility is incompetent. It you went to Mobile (the city) where did you go, they are still incompetent.

The dealer is in Mobile, Ala, and a ''Porsche'', ''Audi'', and a ''Volvo'' dealer also. I had hoped they put the right stuff in there,, but,, the paperwork only says, '' We changed the oil and filter''. [ plus all the other stuff they do there ] I guess it's OK,, just questionable,, I really want to change it,,, but,,,maybe it's all right. I've already put 200 miles on it since, I guess time will tell. Anyone know what will happen if I run the wrong type of oil?

So what part number oil did they bill out... I can see a service advisor being clueless, but the tech probably isn't... it if was a VW dealer chances are good they put the right oil in it.

Last edited:
Widetrax,I have a motor in a recently purchased Audi, which also requires 508 rated oil. Until then, had never heard of 508.

Personally I would run the oil for the next 5K or so and then put in 508 0-20. Might want to double check a VW/Audi dealer to make sure they even have it in stock. The Audi Svc Tech , when I asked if they had the 508 a couple weeks ago when I bought the Audi, said they did not have it in bulk, that it was something I'd have to inquire about at Parts Dept! When it comes time for the first 10K service I'll be doing some serious inquiries.

Meanwhile, I bought some of the below and plan on doing the first change myself, around 5K or less. I have an oil evacuator (thats what the Audi dealer uses) and the filter sits on top and looks real easy to change.

You can find Castrol Edge 508 from ESC at about $8.00 qt. Not many vendors stock this oil, and even less the Mobil 1 508 that VW/Audi now recommend.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/oil-service-kit/g052577m2kt1/
https://www.amazon.com/slp/best-oil-extractor/chagxfusm5sz83f

Can someone really quick tell me what kind of fairy dust is in these oils that required their usage rather than just a recommendation? Would these oils be overkill in an 'ordinary' engine?

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Can someone really quick tell me what kind of fairy dust is in these oils that required their usage rather than just a recommendation? Would these oils be overkill in an 'ordinary' engine?

That's a proper question,,, anybody know??

It's also approved for VW/Audi/Porsche diesels.

tc1446,, is that oil ''Edge'',, it is what i bought also. [ not sure, but I thought it was Mobile 1 ] I also ordered one of the extractors from Amazon too,,

The dealer is in Mobile, Ala, and a ''Porsche'', ''Audi'', and a ''Volvo'' dealer also. I had hoped they put the right stuff in there,, but,, the paperwork only says, '' We changed the oil and filter''. [ plus all the other stuff they do there ] I guess it's OK,, just questionable,, I really want to change it,,, but,,,maybe it's all right. I've already put 200 miles on it since, I guess time will tell. Anyone know what will happen if I run the wrong type of oil?

Nothing to the engine

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
So what part number oil did they bill out... I can see a service advisor being clueless, but the tech probably isn't... it if was a VW dealer chances are good they put the right oil in it.

Well, what part number?

Theres like a 20 page thread on it, and that doesn't count the one you stated when you first got the car.

Then theres the link to the European test of most of the available approved oils...

It is one of the more stringent standards.

It's a very stringent spec but so are the other VW approvals. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not rocket science- use what the manufacturer recommends, period. Odds are the oil with the correct approval(s) is available at AA, AZ, and WM. If the shop doesn't know what the correct spec is, find one that does.
Simple.

Back