Beater Concours shopping

I don't make nearly the income I used to in this post-oil boom time but I have a steady and reliable job in another field, so I'm grateful and making do.

The auction on this Connie is closing in a few hours and its local. Any ideas on fixing this tank? A gallon of bondo? Cost on used tanks is shocking.
Vvyf7Y4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-kawasaki-concours-zg1000/223999231832

If not that then there's this that will need shipping, the dealer is selling as a mechanics special. The owner never paid the repair bill, was overheating, radiator replaced, still overheating. At least the bodywork is intact and Supertrapps.
[Linked Image from cdn2.cycletrader.com]

Both are under $1000

I'm too late.......That is the buzzzzzziest bike I ever owned. No sweet spot, just gets worse and worse as you rev it. I was expecting something awesome after owning a 1974 Z1 I bought new. Also very top heavy. It'll get away from you without notice at a standstill. Luckily my Lexus was in the way to catch it when it happened to me in my garage.
15.gif
And I'm 6'2 240 lb.

Last edited:
My bud had an original generation Connie. He nick named it " Can of Coors ". That morphed into " Silver Bullit" over time. I had a lot of seat time on it. Great bike.
Don't remember it being buzzy at all. Actually very smooth and refined for an eighties bike.

I never figured it out. I think they removed rubber engine mounts and maybe got "loose" with the balance specs. And it wasn't just mine. It's a known issue. Google it. I hope you got lucky tho.

I filled the bars with lead, tried bar end weights, checked torque on all bolts, etc. Mine was just unrideable for more than an hour. Just my experience.

I would never own one. My dad had one for about a year. Buzzy as all heck, got terrible mileage, and not all that great of power. Much better options out there IMHO.

Just want something that makes motorcycle noises going to work and an occasional day trip. I enjoy tinkering with castaways. Just trying to cheer myself up now.

I"ve painted a couple of bikes in the past. Will go for this look in the fall.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited:
My main concern would be the overheating issue even after the new radiator install. Water pump, clogged cooling system, thermostat? Hopefully it will be an easy fix. My nephew had a Concours that was as reliable as a hammer. Go on the Concours forums for a wealth of information. I'm sure you'll have it sorted out soon.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, going to try a Lime-A-Way + water flush, maybe cycle it 2-3 times, with a new thermostat and coolant sending unit. Thanks for the morale boost, probably not my smartest buy but will make the best of it. I have a soft spot for the lines on the 900 Ninja/1000 Concours. Must have SOMETHING before Top Gun Maverick comes out!

Originally Posted by rekit
I'm too late.......That is the buzzzzzziest bike I ever owned. No sweet spot, just gets worse and worse as you rev it. I was expecting something awesome after owning a 1974 Z1 I bought new. Also very top heavy. It'll get away from you without notice at a standstill. Luckily my Lexus was in the way to catch it when it happened to me in my garage.
15.gif
And I'm 6'2 240 lb.

This is...totally incoherent.

Bike parked next to car. Went to move the bike, Fell over. Bike hit car. Clear enough?

15.gif
And I'm 6'2 240 lb.

Buzziness aside, sounds like it's too much bike for you if it can't be controlled at a standstill and gets away "without notice".

Bike parked next to car. Went to move the bike, Fell over. Bike hit car. Clear enough?

Yes...too much bike for you, stick with the Grom.

I use an Antigravity lithium battery in my bored and stroked high C.R. bike, as it needs high cranking amps.

For a standard duty AGM, I'd choose Yuasa.

Back