68 Corvette Restoration, part 1000000.01

I gave my wasted dollar 1968 Corvette Roadster to my BIL a few years ago.
This car, an original L36 427 4 speed "Plain Jane" is a true piece of Americana.
Mark is a retired high end granite fabricator, he has that eye for detail.
He is currently redoing the interior that I tried and failed at.
He finished the passenger door yesterday. Weatherstrips, felts, everything.
Mark is a true craftsman.

VetteRightDoorPanel.jpg

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

I'm not sure the I understand completely...You gave your BIL the car to work on for you or for him to keep?

Originally Posted by Char Baby

I'm not sure the I understand completely...You gave your BIL the car to work on for you or for him to keep?

It's in the family. But truth be told, he can keep it.
I have no room, or time, for it.

I did not tell him I was giving it to him; Mark is a proud guy, a man's man.
But I sent him the pink, so that's that.

Originally Posted by Donald
So the inside door panel looks like moulded vinyl. Did he replace all of that?

Dunno; but it looks new to me. I will ask him.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Looks like new. Same color interior as my ‘69 L71 Roadster.

The 68s had the low back seats; head rests were an option. The look is clean in the roadsters.

68 side.jpg

Al Knock makes good Corvette interior parts. I used to have a 1969 Corvette Roadster 350/350 hp 4 speed. Those are great cars and are a blast to drive. That big block in your old one would go fast for sure. Good luck on the restoration it looks like a fun project. I wish I could have seen a picture of the entire car.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Al Knock makes good Corvette interior parts. I used to have a 1969 Corvette Roadster 350/350 hp 4 speed. Those are great cars and are a blast to drive. That big block in your old one would go fast for sure. Good luck on the restoration it looks like a fun project. I wish I could have seen a picture of the entire car.

Here's the new top.
When Mark took the car (he trailored it to Gig Harbor, WA) I had purchased the weather strips and top.
He had a shop up there install it.
This pic has the Wheel Vintiques 16x8 Chrome Ralleys with the 255/50/16 Comp TAs. I like these better than the stock 15x7 because it sits lower and certainly handles better.
Plus the tires handle the BB torque much better.

The old top was a cheapie. It was white to match the blue color. Original color was Cordovan Maroon (yuck).
I pretty much never had it up in all the years I have owned the car.

Regarding your car, the small blocks are better balanced and the '69s were certainly a high water year. Luckily, my car is a late build; the early builds had numerous issues. One was the electrics; some of the cars burned to the ground. Oops.

68 new top side.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice car...in fact it's awesome! The 69's also didn't have the push button underneath the door handle. They just had a lock instead of a thumb button. Corvettes always look good when their tops are new looking. I put a new top on an 87 Corvette Roadster that I owned. That triple black is very very nice and the wheels look great. Bone stock Corvettes are great and you don't really need to change anything on any year Corvette. That 65 Olds 442 in your signature is an awesome car to own too.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

It's in the family. But truth be told, he can keep it.
I have no room, or time, for it.

I did not tell him I was giving it to him; Mark is a proud guy, a man's man.
But I sent him the pink, so that's that.

If Mark is a man's man, then so is Jeff. How many guys give away a Vette?

[/quote]

ðŸ‘ðŸ¼
And the wheel and tire combo really pop (you know what I mean) 👀

This paint was expensive....
With all the fiberglass work and replaced panels, I bet this could be $20 large today.

68_Vette back.jpg

Originally Posted by 4WD

Years ago, Mark and Patty came down from WA to our house, as we always do Thanksgiving. My folks lived here as well.
They stayed at our nearby condo where the beater '68 was garaged. Mark got the bug...
He went back and found a nice BB 69 Coupe.
Then he got a total basket case '62 Fuelie from a guy he did a bazillion $$ kitchen (Mark owned a high end granite shop).
He searched all over, for years, to get the period correct parts, including engine block and mechanical FI Unit.

You can see why I needed to give him my car. All the finish stuff I could never hope to do.

62 Fuelie Before.jpeg

62 Fuelie Side.jpeg

Wow … Not just an awesome car … but a genuine contribution to history !

Originally Posted by 4WD
Wow … Not just an awesome car … but a genuine contribution to history !

These cars are a labor of love. You will never see a return on your investment.
Sometimes you gotta leave 'em alone for weeks or months. They beat you up.

If anyone is looking for a classic Vette, buy the absolute best car you can. You will be big bucks ahead.
My education is bought and paid for many times over.

But a 427 with Hedman Ceramic Coated Headers, 2.5" pipes, turbos with chrome tips out the back is the sound of pure Heaven...
Grab 2nd gear hard and hold on!

Last edited:
It is amazing that is costs at least 10 times+ more to restore a car than it did to buy them new.

Back