Under Hood Inspection - Throttle Cable

Was checking under the Hood for potential problems / Vehicle in Sig.

I noticed the Throttle Cable had two problems:
1) Frayed wire
2) Slack in it
This is the Cable that goes from Gas Pedal (thru Fire Wall) to Throttle Body.

Could not find on Rock Auto so I ordered from local Dealer at $32.00 (I feel a fair price)
Should have tomorrow.
I could not feel any problems with acceleration but a 'new' Cable sure won't hurt.

Just another thing to check while your hood is open.

Photo is NOT of my vehicle.
[Linked Image]

The cable always needs to be a little slack when the gas pedal is not pressed, or it's going to hold the throttle open and cause high idle speed.

After installing new cable have an assistant floor the gas pedal (engine NOT running) while you check that the throttle lever moved to the fully open position.

Originally Posted by mk378
The cable always needs to be a little slack when the gas pedal is not pressed, or it's going to hold the throttle open and cause high idle speed.

After installing new cable have an assistant floor the gas pedal (engine NOT running) while you check that the throttle lever moved to the fully open position.

Flooring the gas pedal with engine running would seem like more fun.

Like mk378 said, there is suppose to be some slack.

Set it up so it ALMOST goes to WOT when you mat the pedal hard.

Engine OFF of course. Two people required - or a broomstick
smile.gif

Whatever slack there is after that adjustment - is supposed to be - Unless it is excessive with the new cable.

Then you may have been sold the WRONG length cable.

- Ken

OP here,

Some slack - YES.
But over the four inch length area of exposed cable, I get an up/down slack of one inch.
I really don't know how the Cable could stretch because it only pulls against a Spring loaded lever.

By buying OEM, I'm hoping 'it is what it is' / and all will be well.
There should be NO setting-up / adjusting …. just install.

Last edited:
Response:

(a ) frayed wire, no good.

(b )slack? that's normal (Allow thermal expansion, etc.)

Replace the throttle cable ASAP before it snaps on you causing extreme dangerous situ (i.e. going down the highway).

Q.

If his throttle cable snaps, I don't think that will cause an extremely dangerous situation....unless there is a semi tailgating him.

OP, you have been driving that Ranger for the last 18+ years?
11.gif
How many miles do you have on her? My dad got an 05 Ranger a couple of years ago and he loves it.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
If his throttle cable snaps, I don't think that will cause an extremely dangerous situation....unless there is a semi tailgating him.

OP, you have been driving that Ranger for the last 18+ years?
11.gif
How many miles do you have on her? My dad got an 05 Ranger a couple of years ago and he loves it.

Dangerous situation / maybe, maybe not … But it would mean a tow home which I don't want to pay.
Yes, I've been driving it for 18 years / my only vehicle / currently 159,000 miles.
It's been a great vehicle to own because ALOT of the repairs I've been able to do myself / You-Tube is great.

Last edited:
It looks like there may be slotted holes for the bolts that hold down the cable bracket allowing it to move for adjustment.

That is a good price. A lot of Ford OE parts for Rangers are not very expensive.

The throttle cable slack used to be a common topic on Ranger forums. A lot of people would do the "throttle cable mod" which was putting zip ties around the slack on the pedal end. I tried it on a truck I used to have and didn't like it because I could feel the zip tie moving when I pressed the gas and it caused a "click" in the pedal, so I cut it off. Just replacing the cable is a much better idea, especially for $32.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
... Set it up so it ALMOST goes to WOT when you mat the pedal hard.
... Whatever slack there is after that adjustment - is supposed to be - ...
Good points missed by most. In other words, you do not want the cable adjusted so tight that there's excessive stress on the throttle shaft when the accelerator is pressed all the way down hard, nor should it be set up so loose it doesn't reach WOT.

Back