A/C is out and they ordered the wrong part

So the A/C went out Thursday evening and I scheduled someone to come out on Monday. They said it needed a blower motor and they had to order it because it was a variable speed motor which he didn't have at the moment, but he could have it the next day. Fine, so he comes back out and they give me a two hour window this time instead of a 4hr window. Now the bad part, he goes up there for about an hour gets the old blower out, then opens the box with the new blower motor and realizes they sent them the wrong one. So I call the office in the morning to see what happened, turns out they were shipped the wrong part, ordered the wrong part? Idk. Now the lady at the office is saying well due to covid we don't really know when this part is going to arrive, it could be today or it could be two or three days from now. So now they have my air conditioner apart up in the attic, they've already charged my credit card and I have no blower motor. If this part doesn't get in by Friday I'm about to have them come back out here and put it back together with the old motor and refund my money so I can call someone else out here. Is this unreasonable?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
If this part doesn't get in by Friday I'm about to have them come back out here and put it back together with the old motor and refund my money so I can call someone else out here. Is this unreasonable?

Upper 80's and humid in Houston this week.

So there was an error that is apparently outside of the control of the HVAC company and now there is a delay. As a result, you're willing to send them away and then have to wait even longer and incur additional delay for a 2nd service company to address the issue.

Makes sense....
33.gif

Is your goal to get it solved quickly or to "teach them a lesson" by sending them away because there was a mistake???

There are enough AC people in the Houston area, that you can just call around and see if anyone actually has the part in stock.

I say stick with them. This job is already costing them money because instead of the technician moving onto a new job he has to re-visit this job.

Being in the supply business. Electrical not AC. This does happen from time to time. Recently I had an order of wiring devices that got put on hold at the factory and I wasn't aware. The rep finally called me a week after order and let me know so we could get an issue resolved. Then after it shipped FedEx freight kept it even longer than they said. These things happen. It sucks when it does.

Or do I need to chill out and just wait for the part to come in?

I vote this. Life sucks sometimes. Maybe suck is too strong of a word, how about, sometimes it doesn't go the way we want.

In situations like this I try to put myself into the other person's shoes. Maybe they goofed on writing down the number, maybe someone goofed entering it into the computer, maybe somebody in the warehouse goofed. Is that something that you personally could have done?

Originally Posted by supton

I vote this. Life sucks sometimes. Maybe suck is too strong of a word, how about, sometimes it doesn't go the way we want.

In situations like this I try to put myself into the other person's shoes. Maybe they goofed on writing down the number, maybe someone goofed entering it into the computer, maybe somebody in the warehouse goofed. Is that something that you personally could have done?

Your emotions may say to "punish' them but don't you think chilling out will be best?

The one thing I would do is call them at least once a day to check on whether or not they got the motor in. Did the Tech leave his cell? If so, call him.

Originally Posted by supton

I worked in a warehouse for 2 years, was a little slower than the others according to them, but when I finally told them I'm moving on, one of he sales guys said he never shipped out the wrong part or the wrong number of parts. I guess this is why my panties are in a bundle over this situation.

It happens. I'm a Field Engineer for computer hardware as well as software installation. Occasionally, we get the wrong part, or a DOA part, or a part is back-ordered. It's no fun for the technician as we are the ones face to face with the customer, getting the "opportunity" to deliver the bad news.

Give them a chance to get it sorted out. Remain chill at least until the next visit.

Buy some fans and stay cool the way we did before A/C was ubiquitous.

If they bring the wrong part a second time, that's when it's time to ask for something more than what you are getting right now.

The AC company you contracted to do the work should call other AC companies in the area to obtain the correct blower. Not your job. Maybe you need to "Kick Start" them to shop locally for the correct motor. Ed

Do you have windows that you could put a cheapo window unit in. Hole up in one room for the duration. There's a 5000 btu unit for under $150 on Amazon Prime, or pay another fifty to pick one up. In St. Louis, at least, there's charitable programs that donate window a/c's to poor people. Donate it after your unit is fixed or store it for the next AC failure.

Last edited:
I would call other companies and see if they can get someone out to fix it before the other company gets the part in. I doubt they were sent the wrong part. More than likely they ordered the wrong part.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I would call other companies and see if they can get someone out to fix it before the other company gets the part in. I doubt they were sent the wrong part. More than likely they ordered the wrong part.

They already charged my credit card so I don't want the hassle of not being able to get my money back. I'll just play the waiting game just like with everything else.

Back