The awesome sounding awesome looking Honda CBX

There are a few bikes that literally hypnotized me when young and still do to this day.
This is one. Six cylinders, air cooled, with no frame hiding the mechanical beauty. Behold those six exhaust pipes, shining and exposed like a 1960's Formula car. The song is unlike any other on two wheels, at least on the street.
I feel like I'm 15 again every time I see its image.

[Linked Image from 100motorcycles.xbhp.com]

In 1978 when the CBX appeared in the USA, I was working at a Honda/Suzuki shop, and got to un-crate/setup/service and test ride the 1st CBX the dealer got. I was in heaven ... it was the most insane machine around in 1978. If I recall correctly, it was a candy apple red model. Of course I opened it up for a few 10 second episodes ... my eyes were big as gulf balls.
shocked2.gif
That was the only one I ever had a chance to ride.

I rode a buddy's for about 15 miles, with inline 6 cyl primary balance it was very smooth. TBH my 1985 Yamaha FJ1300 (Wiseco big bore resleeve) was faster on top and had more torque but it didn't approach the sex appeal of the CBX.

Imagine the labor involved in setting valve clearances and syncing!

I owned a silver '79 CBX in the eighties for six years. With the Kerker exhaust I had on it, that 6 cylinder was a great sounding engine. Plenty of power too, for its' time. With a windshield, and a backpack plus tent bungied to the passenger seat, I went on several trips through western Canada and U.S.
Got married, and with our first child on the way, it was time to move on. I sold it to a guy who bought and shipped used big bore bikes to Holland for a good profit, because the tax over there on new big bore bikes was so high. So maybe it's still sitting in someone's garage in Holland..

"Imagine the labor involved in setting valve clearances and syncing!"

Yes, I recall that full tune-ups at the Honda dealer were quite expensive.

[Linked Image from suzukicycles.org]

I should have titled the thread classic muscle bikes because there are more examples of the era worth mentioning such as the GSX1100SBE Katana.

Last edited:
I had a 1980 Honda 750 K 4 cylinder that I bought new. I am pretty sure it had 4 valves per cylinder. It ran sooooo smooth that if it was not for the sound of the exhaust (which by the way was ultra quiet for a motorcycle) you could almost swear that it was an electric motor. Never any noticeable vibration, no dead spots in throttle response. Just smooth response to any throttle position you gave it. I remember when I had only a few hours on it one day when I first got on it I opened the throttle a little too quick and found myself sitting on the passengers seat. I never did that again. The engine in that bike was unbelievably smooth.

The CBX most likely used very similar cylinders only 2 more of them.

Last edited:
A good friend back in Pa restores these, he has 2 right now. He always tries to get me to ride one and I always have to decline. Couldn't afford one BITD, now I could and don't need the risk. Still as outrageous today as they were back then.

Wonder how Mr. Cool on the silver bike above got the dent in the tank?

When they first came out I was at a race meeting, and the CBX and an Egli Vincent were in the same race - the Egli Vincent won, but he was pushing hard. A 1948 1,000cc against a 1978 1,000cc.

This is the Kawasaki answer, the water cooled KZ1300. I've wondered if the block and heads could be used in a flat 12. Of course how do you make rods thin enough and strong enough to fit on a crankshaft with such narrow cylinder spacing.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
[Linked Image from suzukicycles.org]

I should have titled the thread classic muscle bikes because there are more examples of the era worth mentioning such as the GSX1100SBE Katana.

They're making a new Katana. A lot more power than the original.

2020 Katana

Back