S&W M&P 2.0 Pistols

I grabbed a couple of these a little while before the "event" at $350 each + $50 each for tritium night sights.

I have to say that I am very impressed with these pistols. The grip felt too rough at first, but I have never noticed it when shooting. The ergonomics are outstanding with replaceable back straps so easily customizable to any grip. Last, but not least, the trigger is a vast improvement over the 1.0 versions.

For $400, I am not sure there is anything comparable and though Glock and HK remain the thoroughbreds in the stable, the S&W can stand its ground.

I posted asking if anyone had a C.O.R.E. model and may grab one before too long. Anyone else like the 2.0 models?

I only have the 1.0 pistols (9mm and 45acp) and love them both. Great ergos and low bore axis. Both mine have Apex Tactical trigger kits because the 1.0 stock triggers were just terrible.

How do the 9mm and 45acp compare to each other (in these pistols) regarding recoil?

Last edited:
I've never heard anything but good about these pistols. Especially how much the trigger improved from the 1.0 version as you mentioned.
You got a smoking deal on your pair with the night sights!

I have a Gen 1 Shield 9mm without the thumb safety. I looked at the Glock 26 and 42 but, they just didn't feel right in my hand. I like the M&P lineup.

Originally Posted by Carbon12
How do the 9mm and 45acp compare to each other (in these pistols) regarding recoil?

More recoil with 45 acp and noticeable muzzle flip. The gun is physically larger to accommodate the cartridge size. I would not recommend a M&P45 to someone with small hands.

My M&P9 with an Apex FSS trigger shoots like a toy gun. Incredibly accurate and comfortable.

I have been waiting for approval of my pistol permit since last September (NY is very unfriendly to gun rights)
and have been reading up on various pistols. S&W is near the top of my list because they make very good
pistols and are an American company. Ruger is up there too.
The one complaint that I have with S&W is their pistol naming system....the names are all so similar that it's
hard to follow.

I would suggest that S&W use more easily identifiable (different) names for each model.....my 2 cents

Not sure what you mean. They are all size and caliber variants of the same two or three models. Yes there are a whole lot of resulting pistols but that's why they have the drop-downs on their website to sift through. Find what you want and take note of the model number.

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
I've never heard anything but good about these pistols. Especially how much the trigger improved from the 1.0 version as you mentioned.
You got a smoking deal on your pair with the night sights!
I bought a new sight pusher (https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5385682) a while back and it has paid for itself with the sights that I have changed out since purchasing it. The quality of these pistols for the price is unmatched by any of the "economy" brands; very pleased indeed.

I bought an M&P Shield 9mm 2.0 Performance Center shortly before everything shut down. I haven't been able to fire it yet but am really looking forward to it. The stippling of the grip was to aggressive for me so I put a Talon grip on mine

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I grabbed a couple of these a little while before the "event" at $350 each + $50 each for tritium night sights.

I have to say that I am very impressed with these pistols. The grip felt too rough at first, but I have never noticed it when shooting. The ergonomics are outstanding with replaceable back straps so easily customizable to any grip. Last, but not least, the trigger is a vast improvement over the 1.0 versions.

For $400, I am not sure there is anything comparable and though Glock and HK remain the thoroughbreds in the stable, the S&W can stand its ground.

I posted asking if anyone had a C.O.R.E. model and may grab one before too long. Anyone else like the 2.0 models?

I bought a 2.0 M&P .40 compact about a year and a half ago. That thing is a real tack driver! I love the grip texture and the trigger is 10 X better than my 1.0's triggers. 2010_PSD, you're not going to ever want to put it down!
BTW. I won't ever buy a 9mm again. Unless, it's an outstanding deal l cant pass up. I have a few 9 mm's in the corral for now.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
BTW. I won't ever buy a 9mm again. Unless, it's an outstanding deal l cant pass up. I have a few 9 mm's in the corral for now.
I have owned all of the most popular semi-auto calibers at one time or another--9MM, .38 Super, .357SIG, .40S&W, 10MM, and .45ACP. While I still have some of those calibers (no .38 Super or .40 S&W at this point) I centered on 9MM as my main caliber with Glock, HK, S&W, and Walther as my platforms.

The rationale is simple:

-- The same bullets can be used to reload both 9MM and .357SIG
-- The cost to reload or purchase OTS 9MM ammunition is low
-- The overall capacity is most 9MM pistols is higher than any other caliber
-- There have been dramatic improvements in bullet construction/design
-- There has been no discernible difference in "stopping power" shown (and this is not to start a "caliber war")

Just my $0.02...

I have owned all of the most popular semi-auto calibers at one time or another--9MM, .38 Super, .357SIG, .40S&W, 10MM, and .45ACP. While I still have some of those calibers (no .38 Super or .40 S&W at this point) I centered on 9MM as my main caliber with Glock, HK, S&W, and Walther as my platforms.

The rationale is simple:

-- There has been no discernible difference in "stopping power" shown (and this is not to start a "caliber war")

Just my $0.02...

Yep, with modern JHPs the big three centerfire* cartridges have such similar performance there's no significant difference.

When all we had that would feed reliably was FMJ there might have been some advantage to the .45 ACP, but that's history.

Shoot the caliber that you shoot best and don't get too wrapped up in it. They all suck when compared to shotguns and rifles.

BSW

*9mmP, .40 S&W, .45 ACP

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by Carbon12

More recoil with 45 acp and noticeable muzzle flip. The gun is physically larger to accommodate the cartridge size. I would not recommend a M&P45 to someone with small hands.

My M&P9 with an Apex FSS trigger shoots like a toy gun. Incredibly accurate and comfortable.

I have the M&P 45c 1.0 with the 4" barrel. Only part I replaced was an apex sear to help the horrible trigger, polished the internals with a dremel a bit to smooth it out. With the small frame grip and smaller hands it fits great and is controllable. 230gr. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, Federal HST, and Winchester Ranger RA45T all feed great.

The rationale is simple:

Just my $0.02...

Yes, 9 mm bullet technology has caught up to other bullets, mainly the .40 S&W rd. But, there are still ballistic tests out there that show the .40 caliber superior to the 9 mm. Besides, it will make a bigger hole in Mr. Bad Guy, hence, making him bleed out faster.
wink.gif

Yes, 9 mm bullet technology has caught up to other bullets, mainly the .40 S&W rd. But, there are still ballistic tests out there that show the .40 caliber superior to the 9 mm. Besides, it will make a bigger hole in Mr. Bad Guy, hence, making him bleed out faster.
wink.gif

In what way? .40S&W has been on the decline for years with many LEO dropping it in favor of 9MM. There is also no real world experience that shows it is more effective--essentially they are all the same so shoot what you like.

Yeah, I'm in the no significant difference between 9mmP, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP camp.

Now centerfire rifle fire with expanding bullets vs centerfire pistols, oh yes there are very significant differences. People die when shot in the torso with rifles with decent bullets.

BSW

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
Yeah, I'm in the no significant difference between 9mmP, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP camp.

Now centerfire rifle fire with expanding bullets vs centerfire pistols, oh yes there are very significant differences. People die when shot in the torso with rifles with decent bullets.

BSW

You also have to factor in the number of misses that happen in actual firefights. The most powerful cartridge in the world is meaningless if it does not hit the target and like the vast majority of LEO, I would rather the extra capacity associated with 9x19.

Originally Posted by bsmithwins

BSW

You also have to factor in the number of misses that happen in actual firefights. The most powerful cartridge in the world is meaningless if it does not hit the target and like the vast majority of LEO, I would rather the extra capacity associated with 9x19.

Hits with a .22LR are more effective than misses with an.44 Mag.

I'd rather people have a cartridge they can actually get hits fast with.

BSW

Back