1978 Ford Thunderbird 351m 1k OCI Castrol Edge 0w40

Hello everyone. Ran a short oci to hopefully flush some neglect from the previous owner away and it's looking like that's going well. Current fill is Mobil 1 AFE 0w30. Didn't change the filter this time after only 1k miles. Weather is getting nicer so my follow up report shouldn't take that long I'll report back in about another thousand miles or so!

E3AB8205-A7FB-4A78-BDE3-4DF44AA06E7E.jpeg

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
How long have you owned the TBird? Does it have the flip up headlight covers?

Got it in September of 2018. Didn't get it on the road until January of 2020. Yes it has the flip up headlights.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Is that T-Bird classed as a subcompact?

77 was the first year the t birds started shrinking. Definitely not a huge car for the time.

148E1A76-1FD5-454E-AD49-52F1D6A3C607.jpeg

Originally Posted by Lubener
I would be running 10w-30 in that 400.

Same here. I'd use PYB 10W30.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Almost 1800ppm Zinc?
crazy2.gif

It could be from crud from the last 40 years knocked loose from the Castrol.

Almost 1800ppm Zinc?
crazy2.gif

Forgot to mention that I've been using a zddp additive. Rislone's.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Almost 1800ppm Zinc?
crazy2.gif

It could be from crud from the last 40 years knocked loose from the Castrol.

Could be this too.
That long hood is AWESOME.

It feels nice sitting behind it. Wanna take a lady friend on the hood of the car this summer

That long hood is AWESOME.

I had a 1977 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 351. A bread truck made a left turn in front of me and I practically hit it head on. I have always felt that 8 foot hood saved me.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Is that T-Bird classed as a subcompact?

Compared with the '76 model this one is small. I'd say the T-Bird lost at least a foot in length and close to 1,000 pounds from '76 to '77. I think after Ford downsized the T-Bird in '77 they changed it from a full size classification to an intermediate. Ford started reducing the size of some of their large vehicles in '77, GM followed in '78 and I think Chrysler started in '79. Full size cars today aren't as big as intermediates were in the '70's. I had a '77 Buick Regal, it was about 17.5' long. I also owned a '76 Lincoln Mark IV and '75 Ford LTD they were about 19' long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danimal1q2w3
Almost 1800ppm Zinc?
crazy2.gif

Forgot to mention that I've been using a zddp additive. Rislone's.

Good move on the ZDDP additive.
27.gif
I'd stick with it, maybe just shoot for a little lower ppm, maybe in the 1,400-1,500 range.

Back