C3 replace stub hubs what lube etc?

I bought a C3 for a song a while back 79 with 99,000 miles.The guy I bought it from bought it 7 years ago for $10,000 with 93,000 and put probably$ 7,000 in repairs including a new engine 6000 miles ago.Yeah he knew nothing about cars and was just paying basic shop prices.But I bought it needing stub hubs which I bought.The old ones are wore to the point one has been rubbing the housing and the inner tires are wore.I am going to take the cover off and inspect hopefully just replace the side yokes and seals clean up the rest.Has anybody done this and could give me some insight? Also I saw some lucas gear lube at meijers buy one get one 50% off I really wasn't thinking lol but its 80/90 and claims to have posi additive already. I figure I can drain and fill later.I am thinking about adding a magnetic drain plug to the cover.I also bought lube-Guard posi additive.What do you think about the lucas and lube guard?In stead of GM posi lube?I also was thinking these stub hubs wearing like that could I avoid this by maybe using a different lube? I then thought if flat tappet cams wear why couldn't I use a little redline cam break in?

Last edited:
Factor in replacing all bearings and clutch plates while at it. Get the eaton plates instead of the snowflake plates when you replace them.
Circlips will have fallen of and ground everything up.
Any LSD additive will do.

I am going to tear down and inspect.Your saying to rebuild the posi right? I thought about that I wanted to upgrade your saying the eaton plates are much better?What about the springs couldn't I tighten it all up a little? I thought about a moroso brute strength is the same as oem with better internals. I was thinking about contacting them and buying the clutches and springs.

The vette forum is ok but for the lube I still need the bitogers.Is my idea stupid to add redline cam additive to help with the wear issue?

Originally Posted by cknight49090
The vette forum is ok but for the lube I still need the bitogers.Is my idea stupid to add redline cam additive to help with the wear issue?

You will find some of the best rebuilders and most experienced C3 Corvette mechanics anywhere on the forum.
From serious racers to aftermarket geeks to the purists, the information is the best anywhere for these cars.

68 side.jpg

I don't doubt you but in regards to lubes and things of that nature I trust bitog ers ! And that's a nice C3 I have a entry level lol.I think redlines and 67 caps would set yours off.

Back