After 45 years, I gave up Cokes

"Just don't ask me to give up my coffee, people might get hurt".. Supton,I've been on decaff for 3 months I was exhausted after a stomach bug gave me the dry heaves for a night. I slept for an entire day. Caffeine withdrawal headaches are caused by restricted blood vessels expanding to their normal size. I take 2 vaso dilators, a side effect is a dull head ache same as coffee withdrawal. I tapered off and went from 10 cups a day of French roast to 5 cups a day of 99.7 % caffeine free Folgers Black Silk. Same taste, just no caffeine. Black coffee with Goslings Gold Seal Rum and vanilla ice cream Is a delicious drink
grin2.gif

Hardest withdrawal I've ever had was giving up Diet Coke. Not only headaches (caffeine) but the cramps from the artificial sweetener. Quitting beer wasn't that hard.

I'll have decaf in the evening once in a while, but it just is never quite the same taste as regular.

My coffee intake has slowly gone up over the years, one cup to 2, 2 to 3, and now it's at 4. I suspect it won't be long before I round the bend to 5, but all the same, it's lower on the list of things that worry me. [Obligatory BITOG cheapskate disclaimer: all brewed at home, of course. And only with synthetic, bought on closeout and with a rebate, used with the largest capacity filters I could find. Ok maybe I jest...]

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP (same age, 2+ litres a day, etc). Both my doctor and dentist are telling me it's time to quit and I'm going to.

Awesome! Giving up something like that after all these years is super hard. I'm sure you will see good things happen, like clearer and better skin tone and even lose more weight.

Was this regular Coke or sugar free? Calculate how much surgar your body has processed if it was regular Coke which has around 39 grams per 12 oz can.

Gal at work chain drank regular Coke all day at work (and home). I calculated the volume of sugar she got from the Coke and it was insane how many 4 lb bags of sugar it equated too. It was about 300 lbs of sugar in a year, or 75 four lb bags of sugar.

Originally Posted by pbm
If you spill coke on metal it will stain it....imagine what it does to your stomach.

no, that's false logic.

The acid in your stomach is far stronger than anything from a soda can.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
How is your dental health? Sugar in coke is an obvious problem, but the phosphoric acid also eats tooth enamel unless you always drank it with a straw.

+1
I'd also like to know.

As for the straw logic, that's complete garbage.
The soda enters your body and can still do damage to your teeth without coming in contact with them - mostly with the assistance of saliva

2 to 3 liters per day EVERY day? You've got great genetics if you haven't had health issues associated with this! I work with guys who drink pop first thing in the morning as opposed to coffee, etc. As much as I LOVE pop (yeah I don't call it soda or coke LOL), especially cola, I try to limit it to one to thee 12oz cans per week. I am not an overly healthy dude to begin.

I did the same only with coffee..gave it up after at least 45-50 years ,I had coffee in my hand all day ...I did have the headache for a few days but now I just have a decaf once in awhile maybe a Pepsi once a month if that

That is great!

I gave it up at my first job(age 21) as I kept drinking it for $0,25 from vending machine at work and got tired and felt crappy (3-4 per work day). I flipped to flavored seltzer and never looked back. I love the fizz and sensation of it just not the sugar or caffeine.

My mum raised me on Coke living abroad because she did not trust anything else as drink while out as drinking water was a mess. The only time I drink coke now is in Third World Countries and need to buy something in a remote area. I know the bottle was at least sealed when fizz lets out opening cap.

Shares of KO are down 2.11% on the news that OP has quit providing financial support to the company.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
OP - Did you ever get kidney stones?

No. I have been remarkedly healthy so far. I had two carpal tunnel surgeries, and an umbillical hernia repair, but other than that I barley even see any doctors at age 56. I eat fairly healthy, and exercise when I can. Weight is a little high (10-15 lbs.) but dropping. I am stout.

Caffeine has no taste. Its a minor stimulant and is great along with a sugar rush. In a Cola, is probably the least harmful ingredient after the water
grin2.gif

My buddy who is 44 years old recently went into the beginning stages of renal failure because he was not drinking enough water. He was drinking tons of coffee, sodas, juices... plenty of "fluids" but the body REALLY NEEDS clean fresh water. He is in decent health otherwise, no smoking, no drinking, moderate exercise and decent diet. Really floored me when he told me.

Back